Forums

Carlsen and Nakamura slingin' everything at each other AGAIN

Sort:
sapientdust

I've seen quite a few moves that Carlsen found which weren't in Houdini's top three at 20-ply! I was surprised that Be6 wasn't though, because I found that one myself unaided, and it's kind of obvious when you see all the threats it sets up and notice that the pawn is pinned.

If Carlsen wins the Candidates tournament and defeats Anand in the WC match, then I think there won't be much of an argument that he isn't the strongest player ever.

The real question is how much further he can go. He's still improving, and if he wants it enough, I think he could keep improving for at least a few more years, and possibly longer.

ChrisWainscott
FirebrandX wrote:

I think Carlsen's natural playing strength right now is the strongest ever seen in the history of human chess. He's getting to the point where the rest of the world's best players are a full class lower than he is.

That has happened before twice in my lifetime.  Fischer and Karpov were both light years ahead of the rest of the world.

MrDamonSmith

That tournament in London in March is the most important and hardest of his life. I say hard because even though he's favored to win he's won so many on a row now and nobody finishes first place forever. He's due for a let down, anything other than first. Its a mathematical certainty. I'm a fan of Magnus but I was hoping for psychological reasons he didn't win this one just so he would be so motivated and pumped up to win London just because he didn't win here.

atarw

Where are you guys watching the game?

MrDamonSmith

Like he has something to prove.

Vease
ChrisWainscott wrote:
FirebrandX wrote:

I think Carlsen's natural playing strength right now is the strongest ever seen in the history of human chess. He's getting to the point where the rest of the world's best players are a full class lower than he is.

That has happened before twice in my lifetime.  Fischer and Karpov were both light years ahead of the rest of the world.

Kasparov won 15 top tournaments in a row and petrified most of his opponents, I would say that counts as domination as well.

MrDamonSmith

2700chess.com/live

sapientdust

I agree that there will be incredible pressure on Magnus in the Candidates. I think the most difficult thing will be handling that pressure and winning the tournament against other amazing players like Kramnik, but if he does win the tournament, he'll have a much easier time beating Anand than he did in getting there.

Having said that, Magnus seems to handle pressure better than anybody else. He is amazingly consistent, and when he has needed to win the last games of a tournament to secure a win, he has done it again and again.

MrDamonSmith

I agree that it would be harder to win candidates tournament than winning a match with Anand. He only has to be just barely over 50% to win the title against anand he'll be around 100 points stronger than anand by then. The London tournament though, he may have to score around 75 % . And there are also 7 other opponents looking for a payday of millions. Pressure indeed. This may be their only chance and they realize Carlsen will get more and they all know it.

varelse1

Ever since kasparov lost the title, the WCC hasn't really been the Greatest in the World. Has been more like, well, somebody's gotta be Champion, so here you go! You're first among equals!

Now in Carlsen we are begining to see a True Champion emerge once again.

sapientdust

Totally agreed, varelse1, good point! It will be exciting to have the World Championship really mean something once more.

Crazychessplaya

Carlsen, he no patzer.

johnyoudell

If he wins this tournament by a clear one and a half or two points that will be a splendid achievement in itself.

Hou Yifan has done well.

MrDamonSmith

Yep. He's running away from them like he stole something. Just like butter he's on a roll.

thumbelinamilestone

lol...

sapientdust
Estragon wrote:

There has been a sea change at the top.  Carlsen is putting serious distance between himself and the field of Super-Duper-GMs, and no one is closing the gap.

How has Carlsen managed to do this? Are there any hypotheses other than some appeal to talent or genius? Does anybody think he has some different approach to training that has helped propel him to a new level above and beyond the rest of the elite?

MrDamonSmith

I think Magnus is more inclined to study the LONG TERM STRATEGICAL CONSEQUENCES when he chooses plans. I think most of his peers focus more on opening theory and probably spend more time on openings. Carlsen gets stronger and stronger the further onto the game it goes instead of the other way around. That's just my guess.

thedeliveryman

Carlsen's endgame prowess is vastly superior to anyone elses.  He just grinds until he wins pretty much.  

TheGreatOogieBoogie

Something tells me that I know chess better than these talented world class professionals Cool

TheGreatOogieBoogie
MrDamonSmith wrote:

I think Magnus is more inclined to study the LONG TERM STRATEGICAL CONSEQUENCES when he chooses plans. I think most of his peers focus more on opening theory and probably spend more time on openings. Carlsen gets stronger and stronger the further onto the game it goes instead of the other way around. That's just my guess.

But the entire point of opening study are long term strategical consquences.  For example, you wouldn't play the Bxc6 Ruy Lopez because it gives up the bishop pair, or play a certain variation because it gives an open/semi-open file, etc.