Forums

Carlsen's unbeaten streak

Sort:
rtr1129

When was the last time he lost? What is his unbeaten streak at?

Casual_Joe

I think he generally loses on a regular basis like other GM's.

AngeloPardi
rtr1129 wrote:

When was the last time he lost? What is his unbeaten streak at?

In june, last year, at the Tal memorial. 

youngrema

Casual_Joe, this is not the case for Carlsen

bresando

The longest unbeaten streak in top level chess (in terms of games playes) belongs to Mickail Tal, who was undefeated for 95 consecutive games played over the period of 1 year (from october 1974 to october 1975).

More famously, Capablanca was unbdefeated for 4 consecutive years between 1916 and 1924, but that was "just" 63 consecutive games (tounaments were way rarer than today in that period).

I'm not sure about the exact number, but I think Carlsen is currently around 30 consecutive undefeated games.
ghostofmaroczy
bresando wrote:

The longest unbeaten streak in top level chess (in terms of games playes) belongs to Mickail Tal, who was undefeated for 95 consecutive games played over the period of 1 year (from october 1974 to october 1975).

The Tal after 1972 was different from the Tal of 1960.

#PopeFischer

ghostofmaroczy
Estragon wrote:
ghostofmaroczy wrote:

The Tal after 1972 was different from the Tal of 1960.

Yes, but no player is ever as good as at the end of his greatest streak of performance.  Tal remained a Candidate-level contender facing much stronger average opposition than he had in his youth, and adopted a more positional style.

In fact, he was back in the top ten from 1971's first official list, and was equal second with Karpov in 1973, remaining in the top ten and again reaching second in the world to Karpov in 1980, but soon thereafter had another bout of health problems and did not reappear in the top ten until 1983.  By 1985, health dogged him once more, and he didn't make it back into the top ten again, I think.

He had more sustained success as a mature player.

I was referring to Tal's style of play, Estragon.  I am aware of Tal's success in the 1970s including his great year in 1979.  Montreal and Riga.

fabelhaft

All the players with long streaks without a loss in top chess naturally tend to be of the cautious sort, like Capablanca, Old Tal and Kramnik. Even though the latter two never were ranked #1 during their streaks, the stronger players took more risks and won more games, scoring better results, but with a loss here and there. Kasparov or Fischer never got close to anything reminding of what Tal and Kramnik did, even though their results were more impressive. So the question is how much the unbeaten streaks really matter, apart from being an interesting curiousity.

ghostofmaroczy

The unbeaten streaks of Capablanca and Kramnik reflect their cautiousness, but the fact that the two longest unbeaten streaks of all time both belong to Tal is somewhat unexpected.  He underwent a major change in style between 1960 and 1972.