Forums

Castling rules

Sort:
Ethan168

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the correct category but I just wanted to clarify the rules of castling in chess. I played a game in chess.com where I thought that the opponent could NOT castle since the squares that the king and rook was going to pass through was currently under attack, although the end result is the king and rook after castling is not under attack...

Under wikipedia - The king does not pass through a square that is under attack by enemy pieces... keyword being through...

Can I check if chess.com enforces these rules that if a square the king pass through is under attack, then the king cannot castle?

- ethan

kwaloffer

It is enforced.

Perhaps the opponent was castling long? It doesn't matter if the squares only the rook moves through are attacked. For instance if white castles long, it's no problem if b1 or even a1 is attacked.

Ethan168
kwaloffer wrote:

It is enforced.

Perhaps the opponent was castling long? It doesn't matter if the squares only the rook moves through are attacked. For instance if white castles long, it's no problem if b1 or even a1 is attacked.

Thanks for the reply... wow! so now I have to watch carefully which squares I attack to prevent castling...