Forums

chess in art

Sort:
splitleaf
RomyGer wrote:

Perhaps nice to add a sculpture on this forum... 

Rook to ...e6...

RomyGer

RomyGer

RomyGer

RomyGer

I am pretty new in posting pictures and now the subtitling is missing !

Post 772 is by Moritz Jung, 1910 ; post 773 is titled Gioco di Scacchi, by Giovanni Garinei, born 1846 ; and post 774 is by Louis-Leopold Boilly, 1780, and shows both François-André Danican Philidor ( left, 54 years of age ) and Legall de Kermeur ( right, 78 years ! ) in their match in Café de la Régence in Paris.  

RomyGer

This is called  " a Scene in a London Eating House " in 1932 ; by Stanley Anderson, 1884-1966.

RomyGer

And finally, for today, my "hero" Emanuel Lasker :

RomyGer

Back to post nr 770, sculptures : another one, bust of Emanuel Lasker :

RomyGer

My arts-and-crafts on this rainy afternoon, with thanks to the great Dutch graphic artist M.C. Escher :

j-pax

hello Ger, very nice to see some beautifull art here and also a piece you made yourself #779. i love how escher can make you think about dimensions :) i'll try to find a good picture of tarrash i can draw... it would be my first person with a moustache .. you made the Lasker-bust picture  yourself??

RomyGer

Hallo J-Pax : nice you try to draw Tarrasch, but I really hope you ment to say  that you should draw a picture of Emanuel Lasker ..., such in view of posts number 777 and 778 !    And, alas, no, I did not make that picture of the Lasker bust myself, I will come back on this subject, there are lots of memorabilia, e.g. see the official Lasker-Gesellschaft site ! site !

j-pax

yes indeed i meant Lasker... no idea how i came up with Tarrash... maybe i saw a game between the two??:)

first i have to finish a Capablanca drawing i am working on.

Knightvanguard
RomyGer wrote:

My arts-and-crafts on this rainy afternoon, with thanks to the great Dutch graphic artist M.C. Escher :

This is really neat.  At first glance I thought the queen was higher than the knight.  I have always enjoyed M. C. Escher, too.

RomyGer

" The Chess Game " by Charles Bargue ( 1825-1883 )

RomyGer

" The Veterans " by Richard Creifelds ( 1853-1939 )

RomyGer

Chess in Russia started in St Petersburg : Petrov, Jaenisch, Schiffers and Chigorin played in the Coffee House  " Café Dominik ", since 1841, see this oil painting by G. Bakmanson, 1903 :

RomyGer

Also "Arts and Crafts " belong in this forum.  This is a hollow chess board, made in the  WW-II , helping people to go into hiding underground and to leave for abroad, hiding small documents inside :

RomyGer

Finally twice Emanuel Lasker again :

Knightvanguard
RomyGer wrote:

Also "Arts and Crafts " belong in this forum.  This is a hollow chess board, made in the  WW-II , helping people to go into hiding underground and to leave for abroad, hiding small documents inside :

What a clever idea.  I wished the chessmen were shown.

RomyGer

This is the way Galina Satonina saw Lasker, who was a very talented mathematician as well.  He published several mathematical papers and (quote) his thesis on geometrical calculus remains relevant in the computer age (unquote)...