Forums

chess in art

Sort:
Winnie_Pooh
RomyGer schrieb:

My son Rob just has sent me this one !  More info follows.

Nice and very convenient if you live in an earthquake zone Smile

RomyGer

J-pax : on www.design-dautore.com they refer to their facebook, there you find these pictures ( I just checked again...)

fburton

What an unusual chess set - delightful!

(Reminds me of weebles... "Weebles wobble, but they don't fall down.")

Knightvanguard
fburton wrote:

What an unusual chess set - delightful!

(Reminds me of weebles... "Weebles wobble, but they don't fall down.")

It is neat. Can you imagine playing with it in a motorhome while riding down the highway?  

j-pax

ooh i don't have facebook ..but i could look trough some very nice pictures before it said ..sign in..

the chess set is also good for sailors :)

GenghisCant

http://www.chessville.com/misc/jewelroyale.htm

I suppose some might call this chess set art. The pricetag is over £5million.

j-pax

i could not find real pictures on google... i think the drawings/story of the jewel royale chess set is  promotion of the thriller/book metioned in the article

ClavierCavalier

Maybe they won't make any until they get a down payment and no one has offered?

RomyGer

See www.marblesthebrainstore.com for this set, price 250 dollar !

lax1234

i think that wobble chess  would be annoying after 5min and that 5million $ chess-set looks like pure photoshop/3d programm

Winnie_Pooh

Caissa - goddess of chess !

j-pax

HAA thanks Winnie.... finaly a classic beauty again :)

j-pax

this is how i finished Emanueal Lasker drawing.

varun0501

RomyGer

Thanks, j-pax, you are a great artist, to be able to express the essence of his nature, see my comment in post nr 815/816, eight weeks ago !

Some time ago I informed  somebody at the ( German ) Lasker Gesellschaft about your drawing, but did not get a reply yet.   Normally they are highly interested in activities like this on chess.com, so wait and see...

Than @ varun 0501 : what kind of puzzle do you mean ?   Did you choose the wrong forum ?  You better replace it where it belongs, although not many people will be interested to see this silly game.

1.e3 is the Van  't Kruys Opening, and Blackburne-Nimzowitsch, St Petersburg 1914, started e3 d6 / f4 e5 / fxe5 dxe5 / Nc3 Bd6.                 Your e5 is good, but I don't understand h6 and the rest.

@ Winnie_Pooh : nice !  I will try to find more info on this painting ...

ClavierCavalier

How wonderful for someone to add a puzzle to this page!!!  It's a great puzzle, too.  It starts with 20 possible first moves, and then surprises us with the inferior 1. e3 over 1. e4.  Brilliant checkmate, though.  I NEVER saw that one before...

ClavierCavalier

Oh, and I love those terrible moves by black!  In puzzles one should expect the best moves, and a6 and h6 clearly are superior to any other choice.

j-pax

if i was a great contempary artist i could explain why this puzzle is a good work of art LOL.

i am curious what's Varun's idea.

i'll try and think of something :)

RomyGer

The painting of Caissa or Caïssa could be by  Domenico Maria Fratto, 1669-1763, but other sources give 1800 as date of painting... ( by whom ? still to find out ! )...

Exactly in that year  1763  Sir William Jones  published his long poem called " Caïssa or the Game of Chess ", about a waternymph, Caïssa, from which poem I quote some lines :

O'er hills and valleys was her beauty fam'd, and fair Caïssa was the damsel nam'd; Mars saw the maid; with deep surprize he gaz'd, admir'd her shape, and every gesture prais'd.

Caïssa rejects the love  of Mars (!) and Mars gets the advice : Canst thou no play, no soothing game device, to make thee lovely in the damsel's eyes ?

The god of sports, Euphron, helps : from him the British nymphs receiv'd the game, and play each morn' beneath the crystal Thame.

In this forum we pass over in silence what happened, who won or lost the game betwee Mars and Caïssa,  but : Caïssa was promoted by the gods to the godess of Chess, (instead of being that waternymph of lower order.)

This is a nice quote as well : No mortal hand the wond'rous sport contriv'd, by gods invented, and from gods deriv'd...

Winnie_Pooh