Forums

chess in art

Sort:
fburton

It is a very nice drawing of Karpov, partly (for me anyway) because it de-emphasizes his "fetus" look.

(Is there a word meaning the opposite of a caricature?)

j-pax

hi fburton... it's because you don't see his shoulders... when you see the relationship his head looks very big. (when he was young)

Thanks Tantale, your edit of the foto is better... more contrast.

i always liked the way Karpov looks during the 80's when i was young... i was for him during the K vs. K match.... so i don't realy like Kasparov :)  and i could not find a good kasparov picture to use...

i'll try Fischer later... today i started another worldchampion...

RomyGer

Oh, j-pax : my immediate reaction : great !

Emanuel Lasker, so close by and yet "elusive" as that is the good term I found in the dictionary for what I mean to say, in Dutch "onbegrijpelijk" en "ongrijpbaar", not to understand how he thinks and not to virtually touch... (let somebody else translate, please)

j-pax

ah RomyGer.. i am glad you can see it is Lasker.... i would expect it because he's your favorite.... maybe it's interesting to post another photo before i finish it ??

RomyGer

@ j-pax : you're asking me to post another picture before finishing that drawing, but please leave it, it's good and any art is never ready, isn't it ?

By the way, this topic is not only about Emanuel Lasker, it's about art in general, but nevertheless I will post two collages I've just made...

RomyGer

RomyGer

RomyGer

RomyGer

RomyGer

Instead of two collages, just four caricatures of Emanuel Lasker, the first two by Max Oppenheim.

Enough about chess greats, sitting on a desert island, thinking about chess, forgetting everything, reminds me of what W.S. Churchill said : It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma : but perhaps there is a key.

So, be happy, chess exists.

RomyGer

And this is the picture I forgot to post with the previous one...

DalaiLuke

Great stuff Romy, I hope you'll continue to post :)

RomyGer

@ DalaiLuke : thanks, I like it, I am posting on other forums as well, after sixty years of chess playing and a lot of reference books, there are so many subjects...   What do you want to see or read ?  I dare to ask such question...   Bye !

DalaiLuke

Well, all I know to date is your artwork and your contributions here ... but I'll check further :)

splitleaf
RomyGer wrote:

What do you want to see or read ?  I dare to ask such question...   Bye !

Maybe something touching on the theme of a library full of unread chess books?

ClavierCavalier

I assume that's meant to be a work of art and not something functional.

splitleaf
ClavierCavalier wrote:

I assume that's meant to be a work of art and not something functional.

That's what I was thinking... unfortunately I don't have any information on it.

RomyGer

Yes, indeed, for me too this is a great work of art because it proves again that people can have very original ideas and even can engineer and fabricate it, really "arts and crafts". So, my question is: who is the artist ?

And speaking of unread chess books, I gave them away, others are often interested in it.  What kind of books ?  For example on end games, in the beginning (60 years ago for me) we had adjourned games in the chess clubs, so at home you had to study the next moves.  Now we finish the game the same night, and that is better.

Than books on openings : as soon as you made a repertoire for yourself, you want to know more about them.    In the end, you don't check your notes anymore, so, get rid of these books.

On the middle game I kept a few books, describing principles of certain masters, attacking, defending etc.     And automatically one comes to learn about a certain person, in my case Emanuel Lasker, because he founded no "school", had no followers, how come ?  He had a strong Personality, described in various good books and biographies.

Finally : I kept and buy reference books, dictionaries and info on general chess items, a good source for my writing articles in club magazines.

This topic is about chess and art, books belong to it, and I am happy we do have a good book seller in the Netherlands, www.schaakboek.nl in Utrecht, have a look !

RomyGer

Oh, sorry, Splitleaf, I just only now read your answer on the book case artist...    Perhaps I can search further for info...

splitleaf
RomyGer wrote:

Oh, sorry, Splitleaf, I just only now read your answer on the book case artist...    Perhaps I can search further for info...

Looked again RomyGer, but could not find.  Sorry.