chess in art

ShawN
    (b 1962)
    Market Mayhem

Tianyang Shui
    (b 1980)
    Game

The Tianyang Shui makes me think of a checkered cake.  Probably the thickness, the missing square, the pieces look like flames (candles) and the texture seems like it could be frosting.

Angelo Sena
    (b 1980)
    Just a game

Audrey Reda and David Paxton
    (b 1980)
    Curious Timing Alice is Waiting

Rodrick Strelau
    (b 1980)
    Just a Pawn

Vladimir Kisniaridi
    (b 1980)
    Russian Artist

Eckhard Besuden
    (b 1980)
    Bobby Fischer in Reykjavik

Lance Bifoss
    (b 1960)
    Biological Clock

ClavierCavalier wrote

I believe that these basic skills are still taught in art schools, but it does seem like there is more emphasis on creativity than skill.  The Bach and Mozart analogy isn't quite accurate since this skill you speak of would be more like musical technique for a performer which doesn't come from studying compositions, but can come from playing compositions and technical exercises.  Studying the compositions will help with composing, but there is a lot one will miss when looking at Mozart if they don't study basic music theory first.

yes you are right, i meant playing classical music to better musical skill.. in the same way art students used to go to musea and copy master paintings to learn from the best... in the Netherland academies this is no longer done...only private schools for amateurs sometimes give this advice

like in chess... the best players learned alot from studying master games

Steven Gutierrez
    (b 1970)
    The King's Paradox

Lorenzo Muriedas
    (b 1959)
    Claudico

Sushila Burgess
    (b 1966)
    Red Queen to the Rescue

Lauren Olinger
    (b 1980)
    Palindrome Nine

Heidi Thrasher
    (b 1980)
    Alice In Wonderland

"Very bizarre, he sat there for a while then just went for it and made a quick exit," Wright wrote. "This guy calmly walked up, took out a marker pen and tagged it. Surreal."

In May, Rothko's "Orange, Red, Yellow" sold for $86.9 million, a new auction record for the artist, at Christie's in New York.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/07/us-rothko-damage-idUSBRE8960IA20121007

i think this "vandal" who is in the world news now... could be an performance or conceptual artist!?... it is not like a dutch crazy people trowing Hydrochloric acid on Rembrandt's the Nightwatch or cutting it with a knive.

Timothy Foley
    (b 1978)
    Books and Space to Hang the Stories on

Valerie Benedetti
    (b 1980)
    The player's brain
    (1994)

Samuel Zylstra
    (b 1980)
    Chessgame

Laurent Chimento
    (b 1974)