Chess Photographs (≈1950-1970)

novacek
batgirl wrote:

It was a publicity type shot staged by Life magazine.  Fifi was the star of the "Chimp's Tea Party"  at the London Zoo at the time.  The photographer was William Vanderson.  

Very cruel on the chimps, really. Glad we've moved on since then. Anyway, thanks for sharing the photograph and the accompanying info.

novacek
ghost_of_pushwood wrote:

(like a puppet!)

Is that a reference to something?

novacek

Man, Fischer looked a little scary with a shaved head!

novacek

But maybe not as scary as he did here...

batgirl
novacek wrote:
batgirl wrote:

It was a publicity type shot staged by Life magazine.  Fifi was the star of the "Chimp's Tea Party"  at the London Zoo at the time.  The photographer was William Vanderson.  

Very cruel on the chimps, really. Glad we've moved on since then. Anyway, thanks for sharing the photograph and the accompanying info.

I didn't post the photo. Someone else did. I just recognized it.

novacek

Hahaha it was me who posted the photo! Must have been pretty tired last night. 

forked_again
batgirl wrote:
novacek wrote:

This is how it used to be in the old days, huh?

This was a staged photograph taken on October 13th, 1955.

The little girl was six-year-old Susan Duncombe form Brighton and her opponent was Fifi from the London Zoo.

Staged?! You mean the chimp wasnt really playing?

batgirl

No, the little girl.

novacek
batgirl wrote:

Who won?

It seems we have an answer...

batgirl

+1

ghost_of_pushwood

Boi, Tigran really wasn't very ambitious.

StinkingHyena
ghost_of_pushwood wrote:

I don’t know, I don’t think he floundered in that game. I mean look at the pressure he had down the sea file. It gets my seal of approval...

forked_again
StinkingHyena wrote:
ghost_of_pushwood wrote:

I don’t know, I don’t think he floundered in that game. I mean look at the pressure he had down the sea file. It gets my seal of approval...

Well done, sir!

batgirl

Petrosian and Keres shared 1st place, as well as the combined $5250 prize money for 1st and second place, at the 1963 Piatigorsky Cup.  The seal wasn't even in the money ($10,000 was the total prize money, leaving $4750 for 3rd-8th place.)

ghost_of_pushwood

I heard Keres bought a Jacuzzi with his share!