Forums

Chess Programs for Linux Ubuntu

Sort:
mcris

I found the 32 bit version in the Download section of their site.

jccquero

It's easy!, I used synaptic for installs various chess games.

I liked a game for my son, I installed Mango Paola.

Grettings!

HGMuller
Daniel_2002 wrote:

I just switched  to Linux Ubuntu and I was hoping I could have some recomendations for a good chess program to play against and store my games in that runs on linux.

It depends a little on whether you want to use it for something very specific, but in general XBoard is the most versatile user interface for Chess-like games on Linux. It can practically do anything, from connecting to Chess servers to searching positions in PGN databases, playing against engines from beatable (fairymax) to inhumanely strong (stockfish), to analyzing and annotating your games with those and edit comments into them. From Chess to Xiangqi and Shogi.

Best is to install it from source code, as Debian seems to package the ugly X-windows version:

./configure --with-gtk

make

sudo make install

Coder_On_Ster01ds
HGMuller wrote:
Daniel_2002 wrote:

I just switched  to Linux Ubuntu and I was hoping I could have some recomendations for a good chess program to play against and store my games in that runs on linux.

It depends a little on whether you want to use it for something very specific, but in general XBoard is the most versatile user interface for Chess-like games on Linux. It can practically do anything, from connecting to Chess servers to searching positions in PGN databases, playing against engines from beatable (fairymax) to inhumanely strong (stockfish), to analyzing and annotating your games with those and edit comments into them. From Chess to Xiangqi and Shogi.

Best is to install it from source code, as Debian seems to package the ugly X-windows version:

./configure --with-gtk

make

sudo make install

It is usually not a good idea to direct new users to the terminal. They are not used to the term or the black screen. It has the high potential of freaking them out. Better to use "the ugly X-windows version" at this stage, I think.

steve_bute

Do any of the Linux interfaces support bughouse/crazyhouse?

HGMuller
steve_bute wrote:

Do any of the Linux interfaces support bughouse/crazyhouse?

XBoard supports about anything under the Sun:

Chess, Chess960, Xiangqi, Shogi, Makruk, Suicide/Giveaway, Losers, Crazyhouse, 3Check, Twokings, Atomic, Cylinder, Shatranj, Courier, Capablanca/Gothic/CRC, Seirawan, Janus, Falcon, Spartan, Berolina, Knightmate, Superchess, Grand Chess, Great Shatranj, Mighty Lion, Elven Chess, Chu Shogi. And as if that is not enough engines can now define their own variants and configure XBoard to know the rules. E.g. with the fairymax engine it also does King of the Hill, Charge of the Light Brigade, Bifurcator Chess, Team-Mate Chess, Ouk and Ai-Wok. And many flavors of Chess with different Armies (all playable as variant 'fairy' with an engine option to select the setup for that).

Bughouse is a 4-player game, and can only be played through an Internet Chess Server to connect two XBoards (as XBoard is a two-player interface). XBoard has an extra board window to show the partner game, though.

Crazyhouse

Spartan Chess

steve_bute

Excellent, thanks @HGMuller.

Wazabi

Is it somehow possible to get chessbase videos running under Linux?

achja

Just for (all of you) your information :

By coincidence yesterday I ran into this webpage, explaining how to use "Pepper Flash" in Firefox.

http://www.webupd8.org/2014/05/install-fresh-player-plugin-in-ubuntu.html

Wazabi
pfren wrote:
Wazabi wrote:

Is it somehow possible to get chessbase videos running under Linux?

If you have problems running them with any browser + flashplugin (since the flashplugin for Linux has been discontinued by Adobe, and may not work with some videos) you can use Chromium + Pepper plugin. Pepper is effectively the latest flashplugin version, and it works only in Chrome, Chromium and browsers which use the same plugin API.

Personally I never had a problem viewing them with Firefox and the obsolete Adobe flashplugin.

By "chessbase videos" i meant the training DVDs that you open inside chessbase. I have installed chessbase under wine but videos don't run. I can of course open the video outside of chessbase but then there is no sync with the moves.

achja
pfren wrote:
achja wrote:

Just for (all of you) your information :

By coincidence yesterday I ran into this webpage, explaining how to use "Pepper Flash" in Firefox.

http://www.webupd8.org/2014/05/install-fresh-player-plugin-in-ubuntu.html

You can ***NOT*** use Pepper in Firefox. The plugin API is incompatible, and Fireefox developers do not care doing all the work to support another plugin api on top of the old npapi they are currently using. IMO their choice is correct.

The Pepper plugin is usable only in chromium and its derivatives.

Did you look at the weblink I gave and tried that software ?

I personally have no need to use the "newer" Flash in Firefox (I actually do hope that Flash will die at some point in the future. It was cool that Google started to replace Flash by their bought video codec (webm?) in youtube.com a few years ago.)

I've posted the weblink for people who might want to stick with Firefox.

HTH :-)

birbs1968

Hi all, in case any of you are still looking around for Linux Chess GUIs, I have developed a new one.

It is not so much an analysis tool but a basic, simple to use Chess GUI.

It supports XBoard and UCI and has most basic options.

I feel it works best on Ubuntu 14, but is okay on other versions, Debian, Fedora etc and also I have a Raspberry Pi version.

Give it a try if you get the chance, download it from www.StingRayChess.org

It is just a simple GUI, for your average user, but easy to use with the basics.

Ta,
    null Sean.,

rklrkl64

If you're looking for Linux chess engines to go with your favourite Linux chess GUI, I'll point you here:

https://linuxchess.richardlloyd.org.uk/

Bet you didn't know there's 47 chess engines stronger than Magnus Carlsen that will run on Linux!

KakouMoses
pfren a écrit :

SCID, SCID vs PC, chessx are fine & free native applications. There are also strong native engines, like Stockfish, Critter and Komodo (the latter is commercial).

Many windows applications like Arena, Aquarium, Chessbase, run under an emulation layer (WINE), although there are some minor, or major glitches (mainly usability ones).

Sorry but for now I don't know how to install Critter, and it seems like it's fairly unknown when I look for help.

sx9dev

Bump, also make this avaible in arch btw pls

EscherehcsE

Arena, Lucas Chess, PyChess, and BanksiaGui are also now available for Linux.

preetijan

do you know you have to know this trick in chess

agu123S
Daniel_2002 wrote:

I just switched to Linux Ubuntu and I was hoping I could have some recomendations for a good chess program to play against and store my games in that runs on linux.

Use gnome chess!

premio53

I run Linux Mint exclusively. Under wine the following Windows chess programs run flalwlessly. There are others also.

SlowChess Blitz

https://3dkingdoms.com/chess/slow.htm

Tarrasch GUI

https://www.triplehappy.com/

Nagaskaki Chess

https://mayothi.com/nagaskaki.html

Chess Genius Classic for PC's if you have an old copy of it.

http://chessgenius.com/pc/