Forums

Chess rating system

Sort:
ai-chen

i mean am talking about the 4 player chess rating games

alextito2001

Is it better for your rating to be checkmated or resign?

SmyslovFan
alextito2001 wrote:

It makes no difference at all. A loss is a loss.

fstryker1
The chess rating system is a total joke. I’d say many 900 players in here would trash 1400 players. The problem is if your lower rated you only play lower rated players. It’s a joke.
vedantachess07
SmyslovFan wrote:
alextito2001 wrote:

It makes no difference at all. A loss is a loss.

Agree ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

nacional100

this thread started 10 years ago. wow

theidlebishop

Really don't understand the scoring. I joined 2 days ago and started with a score of 1200.  Lost my first 4 games, mostly by running out of time and as expected my score dropped like a stone.  However, I've won the next 3 games but my score is only 695.  Now I'm no mathematician, but this doesn't seem to add up?

Sm0kingM4n
theidlebishop wrote:

Really don't understand the scoring. I joined 2 days ago and started with a score of 1200.  Lost my first 4 games, mostly by running out of time and as expected my score dropped like a stone.  However, I've won the next 3 games but my score is only 695.  Now I'm no mathematician, but this doesn't seem to add up?

go into your matches history and look at the ratings of yourself and your opponent.

that will give you an indication of what that rating is based on.

So far your highest win is against a <600 player.

Roho56

It is frustrating. For a long time, I gained 3-5 points for a win, and lost 12-14 for a loss. An injustice, I tell ye!

But it has to do with the rating of the player you play, I think. 

Roho56

Thank 'ee. Probably my best chance of winning a game. happy.png

nellykh

this is most stupid chess site. Repeat position can be til time over !!!! it means somebody push quick the button en win

jackmated1957

Is a rating of 1400 considered advance or expert?

SmyslovFan

Jackmated, you've been here for more than four years. 1400 is slightly above the average rating here. Expert strength is 2000-2199 in the USCF.

chessuppes

My blitz rating is 941 and I am in the 50% percentile... so I would imagine 1400 is well above average.

drmrboss

<1000 beginners

1000-2000 intermediate

2000+ experts

drmrboss

This site is way overrated!! 

Buy a good mouse/mouse pad and push pieces here! 

Unrated player , Fide rating 0, like me can get 2000+ in blitz/bullet! 

monkongmee

There was a chess player named Claude Bloodgood who reached a very high USCF rating, and there has been a lot of speculation on how he got the rating. He was in prison for life for murder. I met him in postal chess in the 60s. I don't believe he was stronger than weak expert over the board. I became disenchanted in playing chess while we was still in touch. I think he wanted to get his rating up to expert or master back then. He also was some kind of USCF chess organizer in prison. He asked me to play some fake matches since I was on the other coast of the USA. I think I threw him 24 games, maybe 23 - 1, which of course was ridiculous at the time. My rating went down 200 - 300 points, and I never played again. I in fact never did play much OTB, I was a postal player from day 1. After my opponents were using computers about 1988, I quit chess of all play. One guy said my computer is 2388, what are using to beat me? That was enough of chess for me. I in fact once owned a computer company that made chess software, Paul Whitehead teaches chess. Jay Whitehead passed away not long ago. Last time I say him was about 12 years ago in the airport in Japan. He was still a Hari Khrishna. I knew him when he joined the cult, I can tell you why and what was going on in his brain.

I was sorry to learn he passed early, I remember him as a good guy. Anyway, on the Claude Bloodgood thing, he was a wannabe top chess player, and probably bought his way or talked his way into a high rating, which is unlikely to get inside a prison.

macer75
monkongmee wrote:

There was a chess player named Claude Bloodgood who reached a very high USCF rating, and there has been a lot of speculation on how he got the rating. He was in prison for life for murder. I met him in postal chess in the 60s. I don't believe he was stronger than weak expert over the board. I became disenchanted in playing chess while we was still in touch. I think he wanted to get his rating up to expert or master back then. He also was some kind of USCF chess organizer in prison. He asked me to play some fake matches since I was on the other coast of the USA. I think I threw him 24 games, maybe 23 - 1, which of course was ridiculous at the time. My rating went down 200 - 300 points, and I never played again. I in fact never did play much OTB, I was a postal player from day 1. After my opponents were using computers about 1988, I quit chess of all play. One guy said my computer is 2388, what are using to beat me? That was enough of chess for me. I in fact once owned a computer company that made chess software, Paul Whitehead teaches chess. Jay Whitehead passed away not long ago. Last time I say him was about 12 years ago in the airport in Japan. He was still a Hari Khrishna. I knew him when he joined the cult, I can tell you why and what was going on in his brain.

I was sorry to learn he passed early, I remember him as a good guy. Anyway, on the Claude Bloodgood thing, he was a wannabe top chess player, and probably bought his way or talked his way into a high rating, which is unlikely to get inside a prison.

What a story Mark!

DjonniDerevnja
MyRatingis1523 wrote:

any plans to normalize ratings on this site to be closer of real ratings? or will ratings on this site continue to be an overinflated joke

Ratings here is good enough, but different environments  have different scales, that dont necessarily are equal. If you have 2200 bullet, it dont say much more than that you are a lot better than me and many other players in bullet. How we do in longchess is another story, where your 1523 rating indicates that you are better, but close enough to get an exiting game.

drmrboss
DjonniDerevnja wrote:
MyRatingis1523 wrote:

any plans to normalize ratings on this site to be closer of real ratings? or will ratings on this site continue to be an overinflated joke

Ratings here is good enough, but different environments  have different scales, that dont necessarily are equal. If you have 2200 bullet, it dont say much more than that you are a lot better than me and many other players in bullet. How we do in longchess is another story, where your 1523 rating indicates that you are better, but close enough to get an exiting game.

Why not? All rating in this site should take -200 due to bogus rating.. And then here is +/- 100rating gap between OTB vs rapid rating. +/-200 in blitz vs OTB, +/- 300 between bullet vs OTB. If he is 2200 bullet, his OTB should be between 1700-2300.