Forums

Chess rating system

Sort:
Los_Tenyos_Krowo
What I don t understand us why the first game has a value of 170 elo points but nowadays I’m lucky if a game is rated worth 10 elo points..
drmrboss
Los_Tenyos_Krowo wrote:
What I don t understand us why the first game has a value of 170 elo points but nowadays I’m lucky if a game is rated worth 10 elo points..

In next 10 years ,you may get 0.01 points for winning a game. 🤣😃😎😆

testaaaaa
SmyslovFan wrote:
Mr_MaJoR wrote:

On lichess we start from 1500.

That's not true at all. On LiChess, if you haven't played any games, you are considered "unrated". That's how it's supposed to be!

and provisional rating for first 20 games in each category

omnipaul
Los_Tenyos_Krowo wrote:

Because it's not an Elo system, but a Glicko one.

In a Glicko system, there is a measure of how certain they are about your rating called RD (ratings deviation).  The higher the RD, the more your rating is likely to change.  When you first start, you'll have a high RD, but as you play more games and finish them regularly, your RD is likely to go down as the system becomes more and more sure that your rating is accurate.

omnipaul
anne127 wrote:
Good day to you, my name is Jane i am an expert in binary i do manage accounts for individuals/cooperatives and generate weekly profit. I can help manage your live trading account to make a formidable profit within a certain period of time with the aid of the auxiliary trading system,all you have to do is invest a minimum of $500 and get $4500 in just a week, let me know if you are interested or WhatsApp me on ‭+18728130049

Wow!  That sounds like a great deal.  As soon as I get my money from that Nigerian prince, I'll be sure to hit you up!

sonduy

wow

MadushanBDissanayake

Guys  test your elo strength here,http://zipansion.com/2vPkk

popy12579
MadushanBDissanayake wrote:

Guys  test your elo strength here,http://zipansion.com/2vPkk

I haven't tested the link yet. I don't think it's safe.

I've already reported you.

Armaan30
This is a dodgy link don’t press it
FunMasterChris

we all start at the rating 1200

FunMasterChris

I mean duh

hitthepin
Bump. Only because this is the largest activeish thread on GCD
Emeeka

how much does a person's ratings have to be to attain a masters( IM, CM, GM etc) level tag on their name?

WilliamShookspear
Emeeka wrote:

how much does a person's ratings have to be to attain a masters( IM, CM, GM etc) level tag on their name?

CM is, I believe, FIDE 2200. You don't need norms for CM.

FM is 2300. You need norms for FM.

IM is 2400. You need norms for IM.

GM is 2500. You need norms and god-given gifts for GM.

Emeeka

WilliamShookspear wrote:

Emeeka wrote:

thanks, I'm new to online chess or even competitive Chess even and I've attained a rating of 1500+ so I don't even know what you mean by "Norms" or the full meaning of those master titles apart from GM(GrandMaster) If you could or anyone could tell me their full meaning, I need to get to a level where I'll become one of those and have the tag on my name😎

Emeeka

WilliamShookspear wrote:

Emeeka wrote:

thanks, I'm new to online chess or even competitive Chess even and I've attained a rating of 1500+ so I don't even know what you mean by "Norms" or the full meaning of those master titles apart from GM(GrandMaster) If you could or anyone could tell me their full meaning, I need to get to a level where I'll become one of those and have the tag on my name😎

Zaluponchik

ок)

WilliamShookspear
Emeeka wrote:
WilliamShookspear wrote:
Emeeka wrote:

To clarify, people who have a tag next to their names have attained that title under the auspices of FIDE, the international chess body, so you cannot get a FIDE title by playing online chess; to get a title you must participate in over-the-board FIDE rated tournaments. 

Norms are, I believe, something to do with performance in said FIDE rated tournament.
Let's say a player rated 2340 FIDE entered a FIDE tournament where there were some reasonably strong titled players, then he would potentially be eligible for a FM norm. If the 2340 performs well enough in the tournament, and his performance rating (the "rating" he would get if he had only played this tournament, based on the results he had against his rated opponents) is above 2300, he gets the norm. If he doesn't perform above 2300, he doesn't get the norm.

Feel free to correct me, anyone, I may be wrong.

WilliamShookspear

It's very hard to get a title, that's why they mean so much.

SmyslovFan

The norms are basically a way to make sure that the newly titled player didn't just sneak in with some friendly events to get their rating up to the minimum level. In order to qualify for a title, you need to outperform people who already have a title in several events. 

Here's FIDE's definition of a norm:

In the following text some special terms are used.
Rating performance is based on the player’s result and average rating of opponents (see 1.48).
Title performance (for example, GM performance) is a result that gives a performance rating as defined in 1.48 and 1.49 against the minimum average of the opponents, taking into account article 1.46, for that title. For example, for GM performance, average rating of the opponents ≥2380, and performance ≥2600, this might be achieved, for example, by a result of 7 points out of 9 games.
GM performance is ≥ 2600 performance against opponents with average rating ≥ 2380.
IM performance is ≥ 2450 performance against opponents with average rating ≥ 2230.
WGM performance is ≥ 2400 performance against opponents with average rating ≥ 2180.
WIM performance is ≥ 2250 performance against opponents with average rating ≥ 2030.

Title norm is a title performance fulfilling additional requirements concerning the mix of titled players and nationalities as specified in articles 1.42 to 1.47.

The full details can be found in the link below:

https:/www.fide.com/fide/handbook.html?id=174&view=article