Forums

Chess rating system

Sort:
doctor-ice
i am feeling a little air sick. my rating started at 1200 2 months ago and i am now around 1500(a large percentage of these wins are from time-outs). maybe i have vertigo(fear of heights),but i know i am not this good. please let me know if anyone else has won many games from opponents time-outs, and how you feel about that!
BigJimi
What was the middle thing ??
Queenie
ZZBrandon wrote: Yes but for the most part, people play better in long games where they have time to think about their moves and let pressure mount, rating is like a reward showing your skill level compared to other players of course ratings aren't nessarly accurate and any chess player can have a bad day.

I'm having a bad month

pulpfriction
invisible1 wrote: Haha people can often be "overrated" or "underrated", a rating isn't always the most accurate measure of a player's playing strength, in my opinion, because it majorly takes into account the no. of games you play! If Kasparov only played one game a year when he was 2750, for e.g., he'll probably take forever to reach 28++. If you play more, your rating can increase OR decrese faster. So don't take rating seriously! What's most important is to enjoy the game. Take rating as an incentive but not everything =)

Well said!

pulpfriction
Do you think you have a software that would find you challenges from appropriately rated players based on a criterion you might give - like easy, medium, hard or something like that.  Easy, medium and hard would translate to lower rating, same rating and higher rating.   Would like to know what others think about the idea.
alma_eterna
I believe that you can specify what ratings of opponents you would accept when you set up a challenge. You could also find people who have the rating you want and challenge them specifically.
TonyGas
I think fkpost had the right idea and we should all take heed of his valuable comments. Ones 'nouvel inscris' is of paramount importance in these situations and without this the whole rating system would be merde!
TonightOnly
likesforests wrote:

Turtle, with respect to the rating system, all that matters is whether you win, lose, or draw. You could have ten pieces left or zero pieces left at the end of the game and it doesn't matter at all.

Well I think it matters if you have ten or zero. If you have zero left at the end of the game you obviously lost, whereas if you had ten, you might have won. Actually, I guess if you have zero pieces left you weren't even playing chess.

HowDoesTheHorseMove
doctor-ice wrote: i am feeling a little air sick. my rating started at 1200 2 months ago and i am now around 1500(a large percentage of these wins are from time-outs). maybe i have vertigo(fear of heights),but i know i am not this good. please let me know if anyone else has won many games from opponents time-outs, and how you feel about that!

I haven't won any games my time-out yet, but I've noticed that this happens quite often and tends to inflate ratings. That's one of the reasons I prefer the 14 day option; chess should be about chess, not a clock.

My rating is somewhat inflated, though. I recently won a game to fool's mate, I kid you not.

TonightOnly
I saw your game. I find it hard to believe that this has actually ever happened. The moves all seem so counter-intuitive. I think it is weird that the game didn't affect your rating. I think a game should always affect your rating if it is won by checkmate. Maybe your opponent knew this...
likesforests

Actually, I guess if you have zero pieces left you weren't even playing chess.

lol. You got me there!  Laughing

BigAlex
where can I find a list of players sirted by ratings... I saw this some time ago, but now I can't find it anymore...
likesforests
Click on "My Home", then "Online Chess", then "Open Seeks".
BigAlex
Thanks for the info. It does help! Anyway clicking in open seeks you see only the players by rating that have a seek open. I would like to see the list even of the player hasn't issued a seek.
BigAlex
Just found it! I should have clicked on players (duhhh)...Easy enough!Foot in mouth
bigmac30
This garding system is stange i play in enland where it is a starting grade of 50 every graded game 50+oppoments grade win 50- opomentsgrade loss oppoments grade draw grade dif 40 if more than 50 mutch more simple. F.I.D.E convert multyply by 8 plus 600
WillyPinas

The FAQ (Frequently Asked Question) answer why the 1200 rating.

Is the 1200 average level?

VICTOR120
littleman
bishops are not always worth more it depends on the position and the over all pawn structure which decides which one is best really... if the pawns in the endgame cut the bishop off where the knight can jump around guess what knight is better, but if the bishop has move space to move and the pawns arnt in the way the bishop is usualy much better because they can defend and attack at a safer distance.....like i said it is all relative to pawns and position....
Truman
fischer wrote: AlecKeen wrote:Becca wrote:Rating has its place but its not the most important thing. Sometimes you can lose a game on time and it will seriously affect your rating this has nothing to do with how well you play.

Oh yes it does! How well you play includes how well you manage your time. Time is as much part of Chess as it is in other games. In football you could score the greatest goal in history, but if the referee blows time before it goes in it doesn't count. Similarly in Chess if you don't get your moves in within the time, you lose, and correctly so.

I could be wrong, but I assume she's talking about blitz games. There are lots of people who are great blitz players but terrible in long games, and vice versa.

Some people continue to play others that have a much higher elo and lose more

often giving them a lower elo.