Forums

Chessbase light download...where?

Sort:
RoyEvan23

I'm trying to download Chessbase light from their site, but when I click on the Chessbase light icon it just takes me to the regular Chessbase 11 page to buy. Is Chessbase light available?

inmaniac

http://fritzserver.org/download/CBLightSetup.exe

AllonJMRichards

that linki is good man thanks

Averagebum

Thanks very much, inmaniac! How did you get the link? I couldn't find it on Chessbase.com.

PeteGuenn

My recent copy of CB Light 2009 routinely blows up in my face, desperately telling me that it's a trial version, and that I must must must buy an activation code. I tired of their rolling-pin nagging and decided to pay, but I couldn't, because they no longer issue codes. Apparently CB Light 2009 is no longer in their product line, even though they let you download it. 

I told CB how irritating that is, and they pointed to the bright side.  I can still pay 100 euros for ChessBase 11.  Wow!  What great news that is!  I can spend about half the cost of MS Office Suite on a chess database!

What's next?  Grafalloy chesspieces?  A Tag Heuer clock?

So if you get that to work without the nagbox, please let me know.

Dietmar

when CB Light 2009 locks up I uninstall it and simply reinstall it (so don't throw your setup file away). It is a bit annoying but it works.

NimzoRoy
Dietmar wrote:

when CB Light 2009 locks up I uninstall it and simply reinstall it (so don't throw your setup file away). It is a bit annoying but it works.

This is a good fix in general no matter what program you're having problems with. But, in this case if it's a trial version that means you only get to use it for so long and that's that. You can probably locate the file that executes the nagging message and "blows up" the program if you're really interested in doing so but I'm  not sure if it's possible to stop this file from working (ie by just deleting it) and live happily ever after without having to reinstall it every 30 days or whenever.

BTW I'm using CB 9 and I think it was well worth the money. Look around for used copies of CB9 or CB10 at amazon and eBay, I got a good deal on mine and if you're patient you probably will too.

Dietmar

The little uninstall/reinstall routine hasn't bugged me enough to buy it but I will check out Amazon/ebay. Btw, when you run CB9 on an old OS like Windows 2000 the issue of being forced to reinstall doesn't come up nearly as often as on WIN 7 or XP

NimzoRoy
Dietmar wrote:

The little uninstall/reinstall routine hasn't bugged me enough to buy it but I will check out Amazon/ebay. Btw, when you run CB9 on an old OS like Windows 2000 the issue of being forced to reinstall doesn't come up nearly as often as on WIN 7 or XP

The main advantage of the primo versions is they have no limitation on the size of the DB, I believe the "light" version only handles DBs of under 20,000 games which is microscopic when you consider my BIG DB 2011 has been updated to 5.5 million games

I'm not exactly a PC guru but I'm wondering how the OS can affect the necessity of reinstalling - do you mean there isn't as much nagging? Or that the trial version lasts longer before it no longer works?

BUT in any case Windows has an option to run programs under older versions in "compatibility" mode you should check this feature out and see if it can work for you here

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-Windows

Dietmar

That's exactly what I meant. On my old laptop, I was even able to keep downloading the latest issue for TWIC which wasn't possible on XP or on Win7.

I am not too worried about the size of the databases. It is more than enough for what I need. It can actually be a bad thing if you have too many choices unless you have an abundance of time ...

NimzoRoy
Dietmar wrote:

That's exactly what I meant. On my old laptop, I was even able to keep downloading the latest issue for TWIC which wasn't possible on XP or on Win7.

I am not too worried about the size of the databases. It is more than enough for what I need. It can actually be a bad thing if you have too many choices unless you have an abundance of time ...

I download TWIC all the time - using XP. There's something wrong - at your end. Or maybe you're leaving out a few minor details here? 

I was going to say something about your DB remark, but considering your rating you must know what you're doing...without massive DBs available to you

Dietmar

I am trying to remember. At some point I was able to get the latest TWIC on XP but for a year or so it says I need to purchase the activation key before I can do it. But I am under the impression that with every reinstall the latest TWICs come with it so that isn't much of an issue.

As for the DBs, it all comes down how much time you invest. You have to be careful to weed out the blitz, blind, and rapid games. When I have a bit more time I will go thru a few games to get a feel what may come next. That's particulary helpful if the opponent deviates as you better understand the larger ideas behind the moves. It also helps to weed out the bad reference games. There was a game between Short and Sokolov in the Evans Gambit that was scored a win for Short. You would have been foolish to follow it though as Short only won due to a one move blunder by Sokolov.There was another game where Vaganian simply dropped a piece and mysteriously his opponent didn't pounce on it (notation error?).

My time budget is pretty limited so I am happy when I get out of the opening without a resignable position. So far, whatever games are available from the free version of the DB worked for me. I don't score particularly well against the over 2200 crowd but occasionally there is a full point to be had when my opponent plays hurriedly. Below 2100 I tend to be alright which has less to do with my superior skills but with the fact that way too many players play too fast especially when it comes to the endgame phase. Many games that were even or inferior turned because of careless play by opponents. Recently, I had a 960 game where I was suffering then my opponent pretty much threw it away by making one bad move after another in the endgame. That's why Online (correspondence) ratings are so deceiving as people put different kinds of efforts into the game due to all kinds of factors.

NimzoRoy

Dietmar you can download TWIC without ANY chess software whatsoever, directly from the TWIC site. Getting it into a DB is another matter. Your impression that everytime you reinstall you get the latest TWICs is wrong. If you're keeping copies of your own updated DB(s) then you can use them again after reinstalling.

Exactly what software are you using? CB9 Lite only handles DBs of 20,000 games max which works out to maybe a dozen "issues" of TWIC, tops. The folks at ChessBase aren't stupid they didn't give away freeware that would have one iota of usefulness compared to the software they sell. The "Lite" versions were given away to get people familiar with the program and realize that the size of the DB is absolutely essential if you want to be able to do any serious research. 

You are correct about not over relying on DBs and having to watch out for games won on blunders unrelated to the opening, as well as weeding out games played by patzers, etc. I think blitz and rapid games played by GMs maybe worth looking at in some cases.

Dietmar

It is Chessbase Light 2009. I know I can download the games from TWIC directly but you are correct that this will mean having to figure out how to load it which is more trouble than I am willing to get into. I understand that I get what I pay for. If somehow is better prepared (or willing to spend the money) and wins because of it so be it. As I said before, whatever the free version offers is sufficient to get me in decent enough shape to the point where I am on my own. I have played plenty of opponents who don't appear to be using opening databases where the departure from known positions comes earlier. Yet there are plenty of continuations that - while frowned upon on top level chess - still pose enough challenges to go astray. So just because someone doesn't or only uses a limited database doesn't necessarily mean you lose by default against someone who has access to the latest opening database.

sw_fanatic

Hey guys I'm interested to know at what point you recommend using databases.

My basic chess GUI has an opening book built into it but I can neither see exactly which games they were drawn from nor can I continue beyond move 20 nor are are all the available moves listed in the first place.

NimzoRoy

Anyone using ChessBase just has to download the latest TWIC (the same way you would download anything else) and tell Windows to always open pgn (and the CB proprietary files) files with CB. Voila! The new TWIC shows up in the CB "home page" or whatever it's called and then you just drag and drop it into whatever DB you want - probably your reference DB.

I wish I had heard about SCID before I bought CB but I'm happy with it and if my version (CB9) ever gets too outdated I'll check out SCID before upgrading.

adityaved_king

only thing i know is cbase is good but not good from my teacher

Carlpov

anyone know how to download chessbase

Carlpov
adityaved_king wrote:

only thing i know is cbase is good but not good from my teacher

u have the program or fritz

tomxypdq

http://fritzserver.org/download/CBLightSetup.exe

This works, and was helpful. CB light seems much more accessable than the setup.msi for the heavy CB.