Forums

Chess.com rating vs. FIDE rating

Sort:
deadpoetic

I've been wondering if your chess.com reflects what you would be rated outside of chess.com (Like if your rated 1400 on chess.com would you be playing at a 1400 level in a tournament?)

I understand that your rating would probably be less outside of chess.com when playing against a person who is sitting write in front of you (psychological and physical asspects). So would it be around 100 less maybe? And I'm refering to someone who doesn't think about their moves for hours and doesn't use outside help. The average time it takes me to move is bout 30 secounds, maybe a min so not that slow.

lanceuppercut_239

And I'm refering to someone who doesn't think about their moves for hours and doesn't use outside help. The average time it takes me to move is bout 30 secounds, maybe a min so not that slow.

No outside help, ok fair enough. But you have to realize that correspondence chess - i.e., 'turn-based chess' here - is not the same as playing over-the-board. In correspondence chess there is an expectation that the opponent has a long time to consider his next move - "hours" if he wishes. If you make every move in only a few seconds in correspondence chess, then it's your own fault for not using your allotted time properly. Time management is an important chess skill, even (perhaps much more so) in OTB play. Time management is just like tactics, endgames, openings, etc. - something every good chess player should know.

As far as whether or not there is a correlation between ratings here and FIDE ratings, I'm sure this topic has come up before in these forums. The short answer is that while there may be some correlation, it's not possible to say something like "chess.com rating = squareroot(FIDE rating x 200)/7". FIDE ratings are meant to be a statistically accurate representation of a player's strength in playing official over the board FIDE tournaments - which has little to do with playing correspondence chess on the internet.

deadpoetic
Ive played a few hundred live games online (long and blitz) and keeping up with the time is never a problem... but ya i understand. I kinda feel ok about myself since im about to reach the 1500's on chess.com after only about 4 monthes of studing chess but I don't wanna feel good about myself if i would only preform at a 1200 level in a tournament because theres such a big diffrence between chess.com ratings and FIDE ratings...
lanceuppercut_239

Ok, I understand. The fact that you've only been playing for 4 months and you're already a decent player is very encouraging, and I'd like to congratulate you on your progress. I'll try to put this as concisely as possible:

1. Don't worry about ratings. A rating increase is not a "reward" for winning a game; a decrease is not a "punishment" for losing. Ratings, if (and I emphasize if) they are accurate, are simply a reflection of your current playing strength. As you improve, your rating will improve. If your rating drops over a period of time, chances are you were overrated to begin with and it is now correcting itself. (Note: I consider FIDE ratings to be accurate, and internet ratings to be only very, very rough approximations).

2. Internet ratings are very likely to be inflated. 

deadpoetic

Thanks for taking the time to explain that.

timmaylivinalie
what lance is saying is true, for instance, my OTB rating is -36 but on chess.com it's greatly inflated to 0.
deadpoetic

WTF! how the hell did u manage to get a rating of 0...

lanceuppercut_239
deadpoetic wrote:

I think he's kidding.

deadpoetic
go on his account... its 0... lol
Evil_Homer
stated objetive of - though.
lanceuppercut_239
Impressive achievement. I stand corrected.
timmaylivinalie
deadpoetic wrote:

through great determination and using the skills i learned in connect four ;P

deadpoetic
do u seriously play out the game at the best of ur ability? if i kept losing over and over theres no way id still b playing chess...
timmaylivinalie
deadpoetic wrote: do u seriously play out the game at the best of ur ability? if i kept losing over and over theres no way id still b playing chess...

in most of my recent games i've played at the best of my ability until the fourth move then i resign cuz i feel bad for my opponent not standing any real chance of becoming victorious. my earlier games i let my dog bark out the moves she thought i should make and she sux hardcore at chess.

deadpoetic

i hint a bit of sarcasim in that comment =P

SukerPuncher333

What about live ratings (not correspondance ratings) here? How do those compare?

glsmith

chess on line just for fun!Cool

dbruser
One reason why it is nearly impossible to compare chess.com ratings with FIDE ratings is because in correspondence games, I have noticed that blunders are a lot more frequent, because it may have been a day or more since you last saw the position. You might forget your strategies, or the point of your last move. You also may forget threats, especially sacs and tactics such as discovered attacks. Right now, I am in the 1500 area on chess.com (and moving up quickly), and yet around 50%, maybe even more, of my games are won or lost as a result of a blunder, which definately wouldn't happen OTB.
DKibuuka

Definately FIDE ratings have an edge over chess.com ratings although it is critical to note that chess.com may enable growth of chess playing skills more so if you are lucky to meet serious and skilled players.

stefanstr

Maybe someone who is rated by  FIDE could post their rating so that we can compare it to the chess.com rating?

As a matter of fact, I've been in a tournament recently (being an amateur player). The event wasn't officially rated as it was with 15 min. time control, but you could check what your rating would be. Most of the players there were pros, and my rating after the tournament was somewhere around 1680. And here, on chess.com, my correspondence chess rating is around 1500, with live chess even lower.