Forums

Chess.com's Underworld

Sort:
Razdomillie

Today my friends we shall take a journey into the deep dark realms of Chess.com's elo underworld. I am of course talking about the area of 'live chess' populated by 500 or less elo players.

It's a scary place indeed, where rooks come out on the second move, kings are never castled and pawns are eaten up like popcorn. For example: a game from this jungle of madness.

To reach the elo underworld is easy enough. Simply find the lowest rated person in your game archive, then the lowest rated person in their game archive and so on.

On a serious note, I truly don't want to disrespect people with a low elo, I just find it seriously fascinating that there exists this 'subculture' of chess.com

NicholasFooJinSau

true!this game is unbelievabally crazy

PatzerLars

Who needs FischeRandom when you can have games like this ? :-D

Razdomillie
PatzerLars wrote:

Who needs FischeRandom when you can have games like this ? :-D

But that's just the thing, in the 'underworld' games like this are perfectly normal. That rook lift opening is incredibly popular.

Fear_ItseIf

Ermahgerd rewklift

Scottrf

Do they still type GG?

stephen_33

Everything's relative Razdomillie - I wonder what 2000+ rated players think about your ability !

In fact I was impressed by how well Black played in that game (given their modest rating) up until around move 19 ? - I was just willing them to see 19... Ne3#.  Still, they got there in the end.

Razdomillie
stephen_33 wrote:

Everything's relative Razdomillie - I wonder what 2000+ rated players think about your ability !

In fact I was impressed by how well Black played in that game (given their modest rating) up until around move 19 ? - I was just willing them to see 19... Ne3#.  Still, they got there in the end.

I was waiting for this comment to come, and you didn't disappoint :) The difference is that people are aware that 1200 rated players exist, because literally everyone on this site would have played at that level at least once.

And like I said I really don't want to disrespect people with low elo, I mean I was 900 only a few months ago.

NicholasFooJinSau

very interesting and true indded.i once had a mere blitz rating of 613,but now it has risen to 1150!

Noreaster

Somewhere a chess coach is crying.........

NicholasFooJinSau

somewhere a chess coach is crying his eyes out,grim and sorrowful.

gaereagdag

In the dark chess underworld

the cries of heroes from mouth do hurl

with flaming swords and fireballs

they are warriors who conquer all

cerberus would flee in fear

as the sub-500 gladiators wander near

NicholasFooJinSau

nice. :)

Qt3--rObO

Laughingcool game! loved it Wink

NicholasFooJinSau

crazy,isnt it?these people have no idea whats REAL CHESS

KickTed

I think I would play like this or worse.
Some weeks ago , in one of my first games against a person in a a year or so. I managed to lose my queen in the first 5 moves.

Now noob talk , if they are getting fun out of it , isnt it considered real chess ?

Greetings
KickTed :D 

Bellomy

I think we should give the rooklift opening an official name, if it doesn't have one-the "Demon Strike" opening. (Why? Well demons are, of course, from the Underworld. Makes it sound rather intimidating, no?)

Bellomy

For an Underworld game, this one isn't as bad as it could have been. The opening actually started out more or less conventional before it went haywire.

I was BEGGING for White Bb7 after Black Nf6, but then what can you really expect? I was impressed they were still even in material at that point.

Bellomy
Constantino1977 wrote:

Cool game, Bellomy.  What were the ratings though?  That's KEY in this thread haha.

Unfortunately I just lost the link to the exact game, but low 500s. And luckily we have that game preserved for posterity.

Bellomy
Constantino1977 wrote:

Did you see white's move 18. ?  Like where they went for the Queen Trade but the Rook didn't quite make it to the square? That was cool as hell.

It's sort of like hearing the musical scale but then stopping right before you hit the final note.