Forums

Circular Chess

Sort:
Schwarzritter1

I just saw an add for a gaelic circular chess board and pieces. The add claims the game was once played on a circular board. Has anyone heard of this type of chess?

ichabod801
schwartzritter wrote:

I just saw an add for a gaelic circular chess board and pieces. The add claims the game was once played on a circular board. Has anyone heard of this type of chess?

Yeah, it's known as Byzantine Chess. It was a variant of Shatranj, the persian game that came to Europe and evolved into Chess. Since Shatranj was played with basically the same pieces but different moves, it's easy to make an analagous circular version of Chess.

DMX21x1

I saw that the other day.  I don't know what its called or if that's how it used to be played.  I do know that Snooker was originally played on a circular table.  I also saw a Chess board designed for 3 players, imagine how complex that would be to play.  The mind boggles.

kunduk

huh..

Anatoly_Sergievsky

The problem with 3 player chess would be that if one player starts to get an advantadge, the others bring him down to size. Or just team up on the good player from the beginning. 4 player chess would be more reasonable, since you can have 2 teams of 2.

Schwarzritter1

As a long-time Star Trek fan, I am still waiting for three-level chess.Wink

N8H

schwartzritter wrote: As a long-time Star Trek fan, I am still waiting for three-level chess.

Seems like I've actualy seen that somewhere. I may be mistaken, though.

N8H

N8H wrote: schwartzritter wrote: As a long-time Star Trek fan, I am still waiting for three-level chess.

Seems like I've actualy seen that somewhere. I may be mistaken, though.

I was correct. The Franklin Mint released it in 1995. Apparently it was smaller than the onscreen version. I would post the link,, but I'm on my cell phone for internet and its a real pain to do certain things.

staggerlee

Is the ad online?  Can you provide a link?

N8H

staggerlee wrote: Is the ad online? Can you provide a link?

I don't think it was an ad. I imagine that it would be difficult to get after almost 15 years. I just did a search for Star Trek the Next Genration chess board. I'm not sure that anyone is currently selling one.

Schwarzritter1

The ad I saw was in the Magazine Signals, which sells novelties to support National Public Radio.

Meadmaker
schwartzritter wrote:

As a long-time Star Trek fan, I am still waiting for three-level chess.

http://chessvariants.org/3d.dir/startrek.html

Schwarzritter1

Thanks for the link.

Meadmaker
I own schwartzritter wrote:

I own the game in question. ( I think it's called "Celtic Kings"?  I don't have the board in front of me.)

I have played it a couple of times.  If you like Chess variants, it isn't bad.  The production quality is good, with quality pieces and a pseudo-parchment board.  The game itself is a bit tricky, especially with the diagonal pieces.  They move in spiral patterns.

The game is not the historical version of circular chess.  Byzantine Chess is known from Greece c. 10th Century ce.  The game from Signals is a modern invention, and uses a different board.

Here's a link to an annotated game of byzantine chess I played against a computer program.

http://gamesinmichigan.com/AnnotatedGames/Byzantineannotated.htm

There is also a modern version of circular chess, played on the byzantine style board, but with different rules.  An annual "world championship" takes place in England.

Meadmaker
DMX21x1 wrote:

I also saw a Chess board designed for 3 players, imagine how complex that would be to play.  The mind boggles.

The oldest known precursor of Chess, Chatturanga, is a four player game.  I've never seen a three player Chess form, although I have seen a three player Xiangqi (Chinese Chess) variation.

DMX21x1
Anatoly_Sergievsky wrote:

The problem with 3 player chess would be that if one player starts to get an advantadge, the others bring him down to size. Or just team up on the good player from the beginning. 4 player chess would be more reasonable, since you can have 2 teams of 2.

DMX21x1

I'm not sure but I think this game is German in origin. This is just based on the filename, it says  Drieierschach. I'm not up on my German so I don't know. 

Schwarzritter1

That's just "triple chess" in German.

ichabod801
Meadmaker wrote:

The oldest known precursor of Chess, Chatturanga, is a four player game.  I've never seen a three player Chess form, although I have seen a three player Xiangqi (Chinese Chess) variation.

Chaturanga is a two player game. There is a version of Chaturanga for four players called Chaturanji, which is very different from the two player game. The two player game is the one that is assumed to be the predecessor to Chess.

dashkee94

To Meadmaker

Thanks for the link on 3-D chess.  Years ago my nephew bought me the Star Trek anniversary set, but the instructions were poor and I couldn't find anyone who knew how to play, so it sits in the attic.  I'm going to have to dig it out and learn how to play after your link.  Thanks again.