Compiling a list of options for decreasing draws in elite level events

bonebroth

Fights Sought

endgame347
Probe_Plankton wrote:

I too like draws, they're great aren't they? Especially in OTB 'Classical' chess - a highly sociable result!  I'm a bit suspicious of people who think draws are boring (probably 'open borders' lunatics / drug addicts... )

hahahahah agreed- a real chess fan

Nicator65
Probe_Plankton wrote:

I too like draws, they're great aren't they? Especially in OTB 'Classical' chess - a highly sociable result!  I'm a bit suspicious of people who think draws are boring (probably 'open borders' lunatics / drug addicts... )

Aye, some see the result and elaborate from it alone. Some others can see a bit deeper and complain only when there's no fight in a game. Although this last implies reproducing the game at the very least, and that's asking too much, ain't it?

n3xtl3vel
IMBacon wrote:

Since i find soccer "boring"  I demand it be changed so it entertains me.  Here are my suggestions to make soccer "fun" to watch.

1.  Randomly bury a land mine of the playing field.

2. Give each goalie a flame thrower.

3. Allow each player to toss 1 hand grenade.

Now that i would watch!

This is how much sense changing chess makes, so those that don't understand it will find it "entertaining"  And honestly?  Its embarrassing to ask that a centuries old game be change so those that don't understand it...can.  What happened to learning about something and then deciding if its for you or not?

This mentality that things need to be changed for me is a joke.

Sports change all the time for the benefit of their audiences. To use your own example, the penalty kick was added relatively recently to the official rules of soccer -- not because it's fundamental to the game in any way, it's just fun to watch. In fact, some might argue that the only reason it was added in the first place is to encourage higher scoring games and fewer draws. Sound familiar?

I'm not necessarily saying that a good solution to the "issue" with draws even exists -- I'm just saying that what's really a joke is the idea that something should be immune to any and all adaptations because YOU understand it and like it the way it is.

Nicator65

Well, it's not only him who understands it but just about anyone who makes a serious attempt, if only by following decent annotations to the game. Some of us actually learned a thing or two just by reproducing annotated games from the elite competitions.

On changes to the sport, several things have changed during the past 50 years, just not alleged fans economically rewarding those who risk in a game. In some other sports, yeah, they get big sponsors, endorsements, better contracts, and salaries. But not in chess.

To win a game it's necessary that the rival makes a mistake or several inaccuracies. Now, elite players seldom do that, so taking risks becomes a must to confuse the opponent and "enforce" a mistake from him, but is a double edge sword as the one taking risks may get confused himself too. Players may go for it when rested, in good shape and confident, but as they have to make a living they get involved in other activities (like Karjakin playing Chess960 for some 7 hours on a tournament's "rest" day).

IMBacon
n3xtl3vel wrote:
IMBacon wrote:

Since i find soccer "boring"  I demand it be changed so it entertains me.  Here are my suggestions to make soccer "fun" to watch.

1.  Randomly bury a land mine of the playing field.

2. Give each goalie a flame thrower.

3. Allow each player to toss 1 hand grenade.

Now that i would watch!

This is how much sense changing chess makes, so those that don't understand it will find it "entertaining"  And honestly?  Its embarrassing to ask that a centuries old game be change so those that don't understand it...can.  What happened to learning about something and then deciding if its for you or not?

This mentality that things need to be changed for me is a joke.

Sports change all the time for the benefit of their audiences. To use your own example, the penalty kick was added relatively recently to the official rules of soccer -- not because it's fundamental to the game in any way, it's just fun to watch. In fact, some might argue that the only reason it was added in the first place is to encourage higher scoring games and fewer draws. Sound familiar?

I'm not necessarily saying that a good solution to the "issue" with draws even exists -- I'm just saying that what's really a joke is the idea that something should be immune to any and all adaptations because YOU understand it and like it the way it is.

Actually im honest enough to admit i DO NOT understand the TOP GM games.  But i also dont expect these guys to change just to make the game easier for me.  I have a choice.  Either gain enough knowledge so i can gain some basic understanding of their games, not watch them, or watch them but at a basic level.

EnergizeMrSpock

To answer the OP. You make a rules that forces drawing GM's to play a round of russian roulette immediately after they draw. That ought to take care of the problem happy.png

saturnberry
ChessinBlackandWhite wrote:

...there is a significant enough number of people that do fine draws less entertaining that it is worth looking for a solution at elite events that grows the chess community without sacrificing the integrity of the game.  But there are enough of them that it seems to me to be benificial to explore options to make elite events entertaining for them also..."

 

 

edit: woops, I'm stuck in the quote box, help! 

We cannot make people enjoy things, it's more like a choice or a preference, eh? happy.png Like music, some folks enjoy a certain type, and others like something different. If people don't like Chess, maybe they need a different hobby? O,<? It's like trying to make somebody like the color 'pink.' br.png /peace, eh

congrandolor
IMBacon wrote:

Since i find soccer "boring"  I demand it be changed so it entertains me.  Here are my suggestions to make soccer "fun" to watch.

1.  Randomly bury a land mine of the playing field.

2. Give each goalie a flame thrower.

3. Allow each player to toss 1 hand grenade.

Now that i would watch!

This is how much sense changing chess makes, so those that don't understand it will find it "entertaining"  And honestly?  Its embarrassing to ask that a centuries old game be change so those that don't understand it...can.  What happened to learning about something and then deciding if its for you or not?

This mentality that things need to be changed for me is a joke.

You miss the fact that several soccer rules have been changed in the last years, precisely with the purpose of making it more entertaining. Regarding draws in chess we must differenciate those involving fight and those embarrasing 15-move games or prearranged draws. These are the ones that must be punished or discouraged in some way. You say people complain because they don't understand the game. What do we have to understand when Mamedyarov and Karjakin or Mamedyarov and Radjabov or the Muzychuks play a shame of a 12 moves game?