Forums

Computer Analysis

Sort:
SandyJames

I'm just curious as to what all these numbers mean?

14/31, 04:25, 266,616,725?

1003kN/sec

100%

1/34

etc etc.

Thanks!

waffllemaster
SandyJames wrote:

14/31,  it's looked ahead 14 moves out of 31?  I actually never knew what the 2nd number is, but 14 is the search depth so far.

04:25,  I assume this is how long it's been analysing that position.  4 minutes and 25 seconds.

266,616,725?  It has looked at this many positions.

1003kN/sec   This is the rate of positions it sees.  In this case 1003-thousand nodes per second (kN is kilo nodes).  or to write it another way, just over 1 million per second.

100%  I'm guessing this is how much of your processor it's using.

1/34  Out of the 34 legal moves, it's currently looking at the top pick.  If you let it keep thinking it will switch to 2, then to 3, etc.  After looking at #2 if it decides it likes it better then it gets moved up to 1.

etc etc.

Thanks!

SandyJames

Oh wow, Wafflemaster! so kind of you! Thank you.

That was quite interesting. Smile

EscherehcsE
waffllemaster wrote:
SandyJames wrote:

14/31,  it's looked ahead 14 moves out of 31?  I actually never knew what the 2nd number is, but 14 is the search depth so far.  You still don't know what the 2nd number is. Wink (selective search depth, in plies.)

04:25,  I assume this is how long it's been analysing that position.  4 minutes and 25 seconds.

266,616,725?  It has looked at this many positions.

1003kN/sec   This is the rate of positions it sees.  In this case 1003-thousand nodes per second (kN is kilo nodes).  or to write it another way, just over 1 million per second.

100%  I'm guessing this is how much of your processor it's using. Assuming the OP is using the default settings, this would be a wrong guess. Try percent hash table usage.

1/34  Out of the 34 legal moves, it's currently looking at the top pick.  If you let it keep thinking it will switch to 2, then to 3, etc.  After looking at #2 if it decides it likes it better then it gets moved up to 1.

etc etc.

Thanks!

Deutsch.chm and English.chm - Sometimes I wonder why the Arena guys even bothered including these files. Cry

HGMuller

In 14/31 the 14 is the 'nominal depth', i.e. the number of half-moves it looked ahead on the principal variation, not counting any additional captures at the end to reach a quiet position. The 31 is the absolute maximum of the number of half-moves in any line it considered, including the refuted lines.

I expect the 100% to be the filling fraction of the transposition (=hash) table. I.e., it is completely filled in this situation (with info abount previously considered positions).