Forums

Countries where chess are most popular?

Sort:
tipish

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/life-within-64-squares-kerala-s-marottichal-the-chess-literate-village/story-uvBUP0k84o7LqYdIVTjPIM.html

luckbird

chess is popular in the US which is why people want to come here from Mexico

mayormarshmallo
ChuckECheese wrote:
Vo1d3mort wrote:

You can get an idea from this list, there you see who has the most titeled players, the average rating of the top 10 players etc. : http://ratings.fide.com/topfed.phtml

Thanks for the link, but I'm talking in terms of per capita.  Which country is "pound for pound" (or person for person) the top country for playing chess?

I'm sure Russia has the most titled players, but Russia also has a large population.  I would think chess is more popular in Iceland than Russia because Iceland has 52 titled players and less than a hundredth of the population of Russia.

Also, chess is HUGE in India right now, riding the fever of the World Championships.  But we have to keep in mind India has the world's second largest population, and they are not the #2 chess playing country in the world.

also do not tell like that india may be like that but in many ways better than all countries

Thechampion2026

India is very good as well, as far I know!

scottischscotch
Armenia also belongs to those countries
RTD74

hey pulix you from Laos.....you ...are one of those top dog college boys aint ya?sounds to me like you need to be taught a lil respect, but don't count on me to be the one cause you aint man enough or even have the funds to get here to do anything anyways. You a skirt wearer and bcuz of that someone in your vicinity very soon will probably hurt you. wATCH YOUR MOUTH. tHaT Is gOoD adVice

wally1746

Definitely Cuba. They may not have the biggest masters, but you can find street players all over the place. My parents' wedding was in Havana, they played games with the locals on the trains, where 30+ people watched, no matter how good they were. In fact, they took a photo on the steps of El Capitolio (the capital building of Cuba) and there was someone playing chess on the steps right in front of them. They always told me that it was a result of the embargo; they didn't always have access to other board games, so they played chess.

JJMarner
Totally in Russia, the USA, Poland, Ukraine. I saw where the most grandmasters are from in a chess article and it said Russia, the USA, Poland, Ukraine etc …
sara_player
varelse1 wrote:

1.Russia

2.India

3. Everywhere else

exactly

Kowarenai

probably russia cause tradition there has so much history, the USA for me is well flourishing ig due to fischers legacy and how players like hikaru, fabiano, and more build its reputation as a strong nation for chess but its not like super incredible tho it is quite respectable

pranav290502
echizenjohn wrote:

Philippines...
despite of lack of "Financial support/capabilities" to join in different tournament around the world, there are so many Filipinos Chess Enthusiasts here.... Not mentioning Wesley So, Eugene Torre, Joey Antonio, Mark Paragua etc...

Quite true...even Vishy Anand's interest in chess developed when his family was in Phillipines....he trained for most of his early career in a phillipino academy.