Forums

Crosspinning

Sort:
batgirl

The following position occured in a 1906 game.  Since it features a rare tactic called crosspinning, I though it might be worth posting here:

GreenCastleBlock

I was going to ask, did this come from Mr. Chatard's French variation 1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Bg5 Be7 5.e5 Nfd7 6.h4 !?  Central pawn structure is right but the white pawn on h3 makes it unlikely.

batgirl

No, but the Alekhine-Chatard Attack in the French was named for Eugene Chatard.

royalbishop

First time reader of this but long time researcher of pins.

Where can i find more examples?

Scottrf

http://www.chesstactics.org/index.php?Type=page&Action=none&From=4,2,4,1

royalbishop

Bing has you the #1 source of the Cross Pin.

batgirl

A. Alekhine, in his annotations to his French game vs. Fahrni, wrote, "This energetic move has been especialy played in off-hand games by the ingenious Paris amateur, M. Eugene Chatard, and previously by the Viennese master, A. Albin.  It was during the present game [played at Mannheim, 1914] that it was introduced for the first time in a Master Tournament." (from Alekhine's "My Best Games of Chess")

royalbishop

Any books on the subject. I think i need a better Tactic book as this is the 2nd Tactic i have heard of in 3 months for the first time.

blueemu
royalbishop wrote:

First time reader of this but long time researcher of pins.

Where can i find more examples?

Here's an example from one of my old games... the Black Queen ends up cross-pinned against the King and against a mate on f8.

royalbishop

Thank you batgirl and Scottrf

royalbishop

Ok i have seen the Cross Pin before but they have just called it the pin in my book. Good game blueemu. Way better than most of the games i have seen posted lately. Exciting game!

blueemu
royalbishop wrote:

Ok i have seen the Cross Pin before but they have just called it the pin in my book. Good game blueemu. Way better than most of the games i have seen posted lately. Exciting game!

It`s the variation 15. ... gxf5 16. Qg4+ that I really liked.

That`s an Interference motif... Black`s Pawn on f5 blocks his Bishop on c8.