Forums

Dan Heisman

Sort:
OsageBluestem

Has anyone read any of his books? I'm thinking of getting the Elements of Positional Evaluation for my nook and was wondering if it's worth $10.00.

I looked at his book The Improving Chess Thinker in Barnes and Noble last night and it seemed pretty interesting, but it was $20.00 for the paperback though....so not paying that.

paul-reiners

His books are excellent.

OsageBluestem
paul-reiners wrote:

His books are excellent.

Cool. I'll give him a try.

Is his style similar to Silman? Most people in my rating range are Silmanites and I would like to try a new wrinkle.

PHI33

I used to read his online columns all the time.

RenataCFC

I think the book you named is OK, but if anyone's considering buying some of Heismann's other books (the Tactics one, and the one with "trouble" in the title) on the Nook, be aware that the chessboard diagrams don't seem to be shown.  (At least for the plain Nook, not sure about the Nook color.)  I don't know why, I'm just glad the problem was evident already on the sample pages for at least one of those two titles.

alec40
[COMMENT DELETED]
OsageBluestem
RenataCFC wrote:

I think the book you named is OK, but if anyone's considering buying some of Heismann's other books (the Tactics one, and the one with "trouble" in the title) on the Nook, be aware that the chessboard diagrams don't seem to be shown.  (At least for the plain Nook, not sure about the Nook color.)  I don't know why, I'm just glad the problem was evident already on the sample pages for at least one of those two titles.

I downloaded a Capablanca book on my nook and noticed that the boards weren't shown. Maybe that is a problem with the nook simple touch?

Modohash

OsageBluestem, this kind of thing happens all the time with ereaders. It tends to be a problem with the pdf reading software that they use. I've had the same problem with my kindle on a few occasions. You may want to check if there are any software updates for your nook that may fix the issue.