Dear American friend, no one cares about USCF!

dpcarballo

Hi everyone!

After some time talking on chess forums, it happened many times to me that some American folks will refer to things like USCF rating. They will come up with things like "600-rated player" or "class A player" and expect you to understand what they are talking about

it's even been the case that someone asked for a chess rules issue and another user would answer with some reference to USC regulations, as if anyone cared!

You will also see some dude boasting about their 2000 USCF rating (as if it were any better than a 1700 real rating) Americans just use higher numbers at their rating system to feel well about themselves, so is the case with National "Masters" that will not spare a second in telling you how good they are because they are titled players (and you're not!) 

On one occasion, one of those "masters" insisted that I was not skilled enough to be a coach with my 2000-rating, unlike himself, you makes a living spreading his "knowledge" (as if he could tell apart a bishop from a knight)

So, in short, I think Americans should shut up about their USCF. No one cares about what the US Ferdeartion says, and their ratings and titles are just a consolation prize, because they suck at chess but don't want to admit it. I mean, have you seen their national team? Is even one of them actually American? If you ever encounter a NM, just point at him with your finger while laughing in his face. If someone tries to explain you the difference between a 600 and an 800 rating player, just tell him that you are not interested in checkers

Please share your thoughts!

notmtwain
dpcarballo wrote:

Hi everyone!

After some time talking on chess forums, it happened many times to me that some American folks will refer to things like USCF rating. They will come up with things like "600-rated player" or "class A player" and expect you to understand what they are talking about

it's even been the case that someone asked for a chess rules issue and another user would answer with some reference to USC regulations, as if anyone cared!

You will also see some dude boasting about their 2000 USCF rating (as if it were any better than a 1700 real rating) Americans just use higher numbers at their rating system to feel well about themselves, so is the case with National "Masters" that will not spare a second in telling you how good they are because they are titled players (and you're not!) 

On one occasion, one of those "masters" insisted that I was not skilled enough to be a coach with my 2000-rating, unlike himself, you makes a living spreading his "knowledge" (as if he could tell apart a bishop from a knight)

So, in short, I think Americans should shut up about their USCF. No one cares about what the US Ferdeartion says, and their ratings and titles are just a consolation prize, because they suck at chess but don't want to admit it. I mean, have you seen their national team? Is even one of them actually American? If you ever encounter a NM, just point at him with your finger while laughing in his face. If someone tries to explain you the difference between a 600 and an 800 rating player, just tell him that you are not interested in checkers

Please share your thoughts!

Uh oh, sounds like somebody has a case of the Mondays.

Monie49
Uh Oh. Sounds like someone with a low USCF rating.
Nausea-Sartre

Americans have sports like baseball and American football that only they play and then call it the WORLD series. They are a special bunch indeed.

batgirl
Nausea-Sartre wrote:

Americans have sports like baseball and American football that only they play and then call it the WORLD series. They are a special bunch indeed.

Except for the fact that both Baseball and American Football are played in many countries.

dpcarballo
Nausea-Sartre escribiu:

Americans have sports like baseball and American football that only they play and then call it the WORLD series. They are a special bunch indeed.

 

Et même s'ils jouent des sports internationals comme le basquet, il ne faut que payer pour y jouer. On peut finir en dernier 3 années consécutifs et on ne descend pas à la ligue B ou quelque chose comme ça

batgirl
dpcarballo wrote: 

So, in short, I think Americans should shut up about their USCF. No one cares about what the US Ferdeartion says...

I would think on an American site consisting predominately of American chess players, many people care about the USCF and American chess.  But that's just a hunch.  

 

 

notmtwain
dpcarballo wrote:
Nausea-Sartre escribiu:

Americans have sports like baseball and American football that only they play and then call it the WORLD series. They are a special bunch indeed.

 

Et même s'ils jouent des sports internationals comme le basquet, il ne faut que payer pour y jouer. On peut finir en dernier 3 années consécutifs et on ne descend pas à la ligue B ou quelque chose comme ça

Vraiment? 

Well, yes, professional ball sports are arranged differently here than elsewhere. What does that have to do with the subject?

/ Is this all a way of drumming up attention for your video series? From zero to hero

Look, even if some people didn't understand the difference between the USCF and FIDE,  I don't understand the reason for your hissy fit. It won't help you sell videos.

Kenny-Ji
dpcarballo wrote:

Hi everyone!

After some time talking on chess forums, it happened many times to me that some American folks will refer to things like USCF rating. They will come up with things like "600-rated player" or "class A player" and expect you to understand what they are talking about

it's even been the case that someone asked for a chess rules issue and another user would answer with some reference to USC regulations, as if anyone cared!

You will also see some dude boasting about their 2000 USCF rating (as if it were any better than a 1700 real rating) Americans just use higher numbers at their rating system to feel well about themselves, so is the case with National "Masters" that will not spare a second in telling you how good they are because they are titled players (and you're not!) 

On one occasion, one of those "masters" insisted that I was not skilled enough to be a coach with my 2000-rating, unlike himself, you makes a living spreading his "knowledge" (as if he could tell apart a bishop from a knight)

So, in short, I think Americans should shut up about their USCF. No one cares about what the US Ferdeartion says, and their ratings and titles are just a consolation prize, because they suck at chess but don't want to admit it. I mean, have you seen their national team? Is even one of them actually American? If you ever encounter a NM, just point at him with your finger while laughing in his face. If someone tries to explain you the difference between a 600 and an 800 rating player, just tell him that you are not interested in checkers

Please share your thoughts!

Actually 2000 uscf is equal to 1855 fide according to this website. https://chessgoals.com/rating-comparison/

Nausea-Sartre

@batgirl yes, but it's like women's football (soccer). Nobody takes it seriously.

Nausea-Sartre

Also how many teams outwith the US play in the WORLD series exactly?

dpnorman

Obviously this is someone having a laugh, but something worth establishing is that FIDE ratings and USCF ratings should be about 100-150 points apart in most cases. That they often aren't is a result of the FIDE provisional system and the difficulty in playing FIDE tournaments for most American players under 2200 USCF. American FIDE ratings below a certain level are pretty underrated and that's a big part of the reason why I can hardly ever remember ever hearing of a non-2200+ American player traveling overseas to play chess and not returning with a huge boost to their FIDE rating.

batgirl
Nausea-Sartre wrote:

@batgirl yes, but it's like women's football (soccer). Nobody takes it seriously.

That's not the impression I get from the supplied links.

Kenny-Ji

By 1550, Uscf and Fide ratings are the same according to here

https://chessgoals.com/rating-comparison/

Nausea-Sartre

@dpcarballo exactement mon ami. Les Américains pensent qu'ils possèdent le monde.

notmtwain

Let's get back to the subject. The OP is upset at American because we didn't buy his video series.

After a year, he has no positive reviews. No testimonials.

So he is upset.

So now he is attacking with no provocation.

batgirl
Nausea-Sartre wrote:

Also how many teams outwith the US play in the WORLD series exactly?

It might clarify things if you knew the origin of the term - which began somewhat informally over a century ago. 

batgirl
Nausea-Sartre wrote:

@dpcarballo exactement mon ami. Les Américains pensent qu'ils possèdent le monde.

Probably some do.  That's as unfortunate as it is stereotypical.

Nausea-Sartre

Where in the OP post did he mention a video series? I think it is you who is going off topic sir.

TimothyScottPuente

Hi everyone!

After some time talking on chess forums, it happened many times to me that some American folks will refer to things like USCF rating. They will come up with things like "600-rated player" or "class A player" and expect you to understand what they are talking about

it's even been the case that someone asked for a chess rules issue and another user would answer with some reference to USC regulations, as if anyone cared!

You will also see some dude boasting about their 2000 USCF rating (as if it were any better than a 1700 real rating) Americans just use higher numbers at their rating system to feel well about themselves, so is the case with National "Masters" that will not spare a second in telling you how good they are because they are titled players (and you're not!) 

On one occasion, one of those "masters" insisted that I was not skilled enough to be a coach with my 2000-rating, unlike himself, you makes a living spreading his "knowledge" (as if he could tell apart a bishop from a knight)

So, in short, I think Americans should shut up about their USCF. No one cares about what the US Ferdeartion says, and their ratings and titles are just a consolation prize, because they suck at chess but don't want to admit it. I mean, have you seen their national team? Is even one of them actually American? If you ever encounter a NM, just point at him with your finger while laughing in his face. If someone tries to explain you the difference between a 600 and an 800 rating player, just tell him that you are not interested in checkers

Please share your thoughts!

 

I think you have ethnicity mistaken with nationality.

Ethnicity entails one's race, nationality entails nationality.

 

America has embraced a multi-cultural society. Your post claims we are unamerican because of our respective races. That is like saying our ebony countrymen are not American but instead, African. They are American foremost, of African descent.

 

Ciao,

Timothy Scott Puente

This forum topic has been locked