Forums

Diamond membership titled player

Sort:
Abhishek2

I'm wondering how does chess.com make you a diamond member for life? What proof do you have to show?

Pawnpusher3

Submit title proof

Pawnpusher3

Like a certificate

Changu

They can do that?

Abhishek2

Do people really get a certificate for being, like, an NM?

TheOldReb
Abhishek2 wrote:

Do people really get a certificate for being, like, an NM?

Yes

gorgeous_vulture

The interwebz will also tell you, the USCF and FIDE sites. Search for 'curmudgeon' and see if you find any chess.com members Cool

Abhishek2

But what if you drop below 2200? Is your membership canceled?

APawnCanDream
Abhishek2 wrote:

But what if you drop below 2200? Is your membership canceled?

I could be wrong, but I believe once you obtain a title it can't be taken away from you.

polydiatonic

Titles can be taken, not sure about chess.com's policy...

polydiatonic

Paolo don't try so hard to act like a jerk. It comes very naturally to you. Just let it flow.

Changu

I want i desire to see a match up..all premium,diamond etc players eg polydiatonic etc vs all basic ones eg paolo,me etc.and i dnt think paolo's being a jerk at all!so yeai,sum1 set up the match,lets go,c who's who!

Abhishek2

the ratio of basic members to premium members is like, 5:1. Or maybe even a bigger margin. I'm just wondering (hopefully a moderator can answer this or someone who knows better) if you lose your diamond membership if your rating drops below 2200.

konhidras
Changu wrote:

I want i desire to see a match up..all premium,diamond etc players eg polydiatonic etc vs all basic ones eg paolo,me etc.and i dnt think paolo's being a jerk at all!so yeai,sum1 set up the match,lets go,c who's who!

Brother, are you in that stuff again?

Natalia_Pogonina

Submit a scan of your diploma online + your passport's main page maybe (because some of the diplomas have actually been published online and are available to pretty much anyone).

johnyoudell

Your chess ranking is in your passport then Natalia?  I hope that means in Russia you get to the head of all the queues and so on.  Which I'm sure it does.  I don't think premiership footballers stand in many queues in England, after all. :)

Congratulations on the Olympiad and thank you for your chess.com reports which were very exciting to read. :)

Elubas

When I think about it, it seems rather unfair to everybody else -- the NM or higher gets to have a free membership not just for a year, but for a lifetime -- they could be saving several thousands of dollars in the long term. But I guess this is chess.com's way of paying tribute to players who have achieved a high level of skill in chess, as such a thing would rarely be recognized by the general public.

johnyoudell

Well I suspect it is more to do with what titled players bring to the site.  We all benefit from their company and contributions and the site can expect to attract more members.

Elubas

Good point.

WanderingPuppet
Elubas wrote:

When I think about it, it seems rather unfair to everybody else -- the NM or higher gets to have a free membership not just for a year, but for a lifetime -- they could be saving several thousands of dollars in the long term. But I guess this is chess.com's way of paying tribute to players who have achieved a high level of skill in chess, as such a thing would rarely be recognized by the general public.

Part of it too is that many of the site materials aren't catered towards of master strength or higher so they wouldn't find them to be particularly useful.  Although I expect some titled players enjoy refresher lessons on chess fundamentals too.  But mainly because titled players have paid their chess dues.  Besides NM and above is a very small percentage of chess players, less than one half of one percent of active tournament players.

USCF Classes and Distribution of Classes Amongst Active Members

source: http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=4326

edit: the chart doesn't come out correctly for me in the post: to be a NM is in the top .34 percent of active USCF chess players in the US.