Forums

do 1600s overthink their moves

Sort:
Tomasz13
Some ( and even many ) 1300 s play better then 1600 s . Do 1600 s overthink their moves ?
WeForgetToLive

What's the time control?

andrewnox

Are you sure 1300 players are actually playing better than 1600s, or they are winning because their opponents are also rated lower, or 1300 tactics don't work at 1600 level? 

Tomasz13
10 minutes
Tomasz13
I did not say that 1300 s playing better then 1600 s but the some got greater tactical moves and do not over think
eric0022
Tomasz13 wrote:
I did not say that 1300 s playing better then 1600 s but the some got greater tactical moves and do not over think

There are times where I lost because I do not calculate or think about the moves at all. At other times I either get too ambitious to try something or I overthink on a move when a simple move is readily available.

andrewnox

You said "Some ( and even many ) 1300 s play better then 1600 s"
You could be right about tactics, but I'm not sure whether they are better tactical moves, it could just be that those tactics are somewhat dubious but they work because also their lower rated opponent doesn't know how to handle them correctly. A sacrifice tactical combination at 1300 might rattle the opponent and work, but the same thing against a 1600-rated opponent may be punished. 

Overthinking and taking longer to consider the moves might be slightly different too. 

gspaulsson

a 1600 who doesn't play as well as a 1300 will soon become a 1300

HobbyPIayer
Tomasz13 wrote:
Some ( and even many ) 1300 s play better then 1600 s . Do 1600 s overthink their moves ?

I don't believe a player can "overthink" a move. It's more a matter of drawing an incorrect conclusion from thinking about a move.

And there might be some cases where a 1600 is trying to force a certain plan, while the 1300 is playing more on a "move-by-move" basis. The 1600 might miss a certain a move because they're too focused on the bigger plan, while the 1300 might catch the blunder because they're only looking move-by-move.

Most of the time, though, the 1600 will see everything the 1300 does, and a bit more.

Pikelemi
I think you are the one overthinking things here
Tomasz13
I would say 1300 s are hungry for their rating to go up as 1600 s want tactics to kick in . So they overthink it some time . But never I said that 1300 s are better then 1600 s
MitSud
I think ur wrong, also, u only play 1300s, in bullet, where u are rated about the same, so what are you basing this statement upon.
solflores

As a 1550 myself, I think 1600 games are much more accurate. 1300s "queen sacs" (half the time they're just blunders) only work because their opponent has no clue how to defend, or blunders themselves. Also, I've seen so many games where a 1300 holds for a while, but then gets punished tactically.

solflores
Pikelemi wrote:
I think you are the one overthinking things here

lol