Forums

Does Luck Come into Chess?

Sort:
Eseles

Yes, there's luck in life.... in humans....

But there's no luck in the RULES of chess

other games are lucky by definition (luck is an essential part of their rules or scope)

chess by definition includes NO luck, if luck has effect on a chess game it's from outside of the game, not from inside factors

i consider a human player an outside factor... like an alien playing chess would be an outside factor... chess would still be the same, but the alien might have different reactions and "luck" than the human...

is that simple enough?

UndecidedFoot in Mouth

fburton
Eseles wrote:

Yes, there's luck in life.... in humans....

But there's no luck in the RULES of chess

other games are lucky by definition (luck is an essential part of their rules or scope)

chess by definition includes NO luck, if luck has effect on a chess game it's from outside of the game, not from inside factors

i consider a human player an outside factor... like an alien playing chess would be an outside factor... chess would still be the same, but the alien might have different reactions and "luck" than the human...

is that simple enough?

Yes, though I prefer to state it like this... There is no luck in chess theoretically; practically, there is.

landwehr

only for those whose thinking skills are lacking depth clarity or accuracy

Salim64

if you pay attention to the board then NO

Salim64

if you believe that lucky days exist and you happen to have a match that day then yes

TKACHS

You may get lucky playing against a "made Monday morning" computer!

fburton
landwehr wrote:

only for those whose thinking skills are lacking depth clarity or accuracy

Which is everyone - human and, at the moment, computer.

porthos23

Isnt every won or lost game based on the fact that one player missed something the other did not?  Yes GM's have a power beyond most, but the same is true with them.  So in a way every game involves luck, which I understand as the lack of perfection.  No game is played 100% perfect, but the ratio of luck to raw skill can fluctuate.  A GM playing a novice will win with 99.999999% skill, but playing against another GM, that number will drop.  Things will be missed just like they are among novice players. The only difference is that the GM's misses are far more advanced.  Things are relative. 

porthos23
naturalproduct wrote:
porthos23 wrote:

luck = fundamental law of nature

what does that mean?

To me it means that there is no perfection in the universe.  Hence, luck = lack of perfection, or omnipotence = fundamental law of nature

Jion_Wansu

Yes, chess has just as much luck as poker and magic the gathering.

Eseles
Jion_Wansu wrote:

i wouldn't say that, i usually get better cards and better dice-rolls when playing chess Foot in Mouth

i mean, we roll the dice and shuffle the pieces and deal them at the start of every chess game, right? Laughing

naturalproduct
Jion_Wansu wrote:

I don't know why people call statistics luck....