Forums

Doubling pawns.

Sort:
Chochah

I have been able to use this to an advantage lately. 

benws

First of all, in that position, you're up a pawn anyway, so naturally, you'd have an advantage.

Also, what evidence do you have that the only reason you have been doing well lately is because of your doubled pawns?

Kens_Mom

You have it backwards.  In the diagram, Tooke is the one that is down in material.

I'd think that black is in a pretty awkward situation here, despite being  a pawn up. Black's king side is full of holes, and he has trouble developing his dark square bishop due to the doubled pawns.  This might be enough compensation for the lost pawn if white was a bit more developed.  Looks like white wasted quite a bit of moves pushing pawns.

waffllemaster

He didn't say his results were better, but that he was able to use it to his advantage.  There's always a gap between what we know and what we're able to do.  We may know that our opponent's position is supposed to be worse, but sometimes we lack the technique to show it OTB.

So it is an accomplishment that he's able to use this sort of thing to his advantage.

Jett_Crowdis

I think far too many low rated players think doubled pawns are a blessing from god. They are only an advantage if you are able to exploit them (which im sure Tooke is more than capable of doing). I have played many players that exchange a powerful fianchettoed bishop to just give me doubled pawns. I think this is because they dont understand trades, and blindly believe all 4 minor pieces can be traded interchangeably with no ill effects. 

Doubled pawns are nice to exploit but they can be a curse also (can give opponent center control if used in midgame)

waffllemaster

Heh, reminds me of one game I lost badly online once when I was a newer player.  I "blindly traded" my minor pieces to give him two sets of doubled pawns, and then went on to lose badly.  I posted it in a chess forum and asked if that was a good idea, and they said after the trades I was dead lost :p

But you gotta start somewhere.  Learn the rules before the exceptions.

Chochah

benws : That's not the only reason I have been able to gain control and win. If you took a look at some of my prior games it leads to trapping a bishop or gaining power over the center of the board. Not always, but doubling pawns will leave my opponent stuck. I like to double my opponents pawns...

Chochah

Doubled pawns can't always be passed which is one more reason why I like doubling my opponents pawns. 

Chochah

Estragon: I was not bragging. I was simply starting a great topic conversation. 

Chochah

Sometimes doubled pawns can be passed. Here is one example of how. 

Kens_Mom

There are no passed pawns there, and black's d pawn looks shaky.

Chochah

Kens_Mom: e5 

Chochah

Kens_Mom: The reason for the pawn on d4 is to force the knight to jump somewhere else than c3

Chochah

Wafflemaster: Thank you

Kens_Mom

The e5 pawn is not passed since black's f-pawn is still considered to be in its way.  Also, when I referred to black's d-pawn as "shaky," was pointing at the fact that it seems over extended and difficult to defend effectively.  On the other hand, white doesn't necessarily have the same problem since he is a pawn up.  So white can drop the pawn on d5 and still maintain material equality.

Yereslov

Why are you making screenshots? Go to analysis, get a PGN, copy it, and paste it on a diagram.

Kens_Mom
Yereslov wrote:

Why are you making screenshots? Go to analysis, get a PGN, copy it, and paste it on a diagram.

That's not necessary.  The screenshots are completely sufficient for what he's trying to convey since all he's trying to show are positions in the early opening.  Using screenshots is also much easier than creating diagrams.

Yereslov
Kens_Mom wrote:
Yereslov wrote:

That's not necessary.  The screenshots are completely sufficient for what he's trying to convey since all he's trying to show are positions in the early opening.  Using screenshots is also much easier than creating diagrams.

Yes, but far more crappy.

In the end it's all the same.

Kens_Mom
Yereslov wrote:
Kens_Mom wrote:
Yereslov wrote:

Yes, but far more crappy.

In the end it's all the same.

The point was that you shouldn't try to fix what isn't broken, especially when the screenshots are more efficient for their purposes here.  Moreover, try not to make these 1-2 sentense blurts that don't contribute to the thread.

Back to the topic of at hand, the position in the second picture shows white developing his knight with a threat: the capture of black's d-pawn.  Black is forced to defend the pawn instead of developing his own pieces.  On top of slower development, black is down material.  It could also be argued that white's doubled pawns in the center give him superior center control.  Black is easily losing here despite having the "advantage" of giving white doubled pawns.

The position in the first picture was a better use of utilizing your opponent's doubled pawns since these pawns are doubled isolated pawns that also hinder the development of black's dark square bishop.  This is why black is comfortable with doubled pawns in the Scotch game, and white in the Nimzo-Indian, because there is still an adjacent pawn available that can support the structure.

chesspooljuly13

If you haven't figured it out yet, Yereslov likes to troll - say the most ridiculous things to start an argument. A few days ago he claimed Paul Morphy would be rated 1300 on this website until finally conceding, after 2,000 posts, that he might have been wrong.