Forums

Road to a Master title

Sort:
the400blows
Vo1d3mort wrote:
the400blows wrote:

This is like a fat person writing about the easy way to lose weight. If you haven't done it, then why should we read your advice?

You haven't even accomplished what you say is EASY to do. LOL

Enough said on this subject.

He has almost 1000 points more than you in bullet rating, so you should show some respect, young padavan.

A person's chess rating has NOTHING to do with whether or not his argument is valid. And show me where I am not showing respect. Did I call him names? I just pointed out some facts.

vinsvis
the400blows wrote:

A person's chess rating has NOTHING to do with whether or not his argument is valid. 

With that logic it doesn't make much sense to say Omar's improvement plan is not valid because he hasn't made master yet, does it now?

Scottrf

It makes sense that he shouldn't call it easy.

mattyf9
vinsvis wrote:
the400blows wrote:

A person's chess rating has NOTHING to do with whether or not his argument is valid. 

With that logic it doesn't make much sense to say Omar's improvement plan is not valid because he hasn't made master yet, does it now?

His point wasn't that omar's plan isn't valid.  Sure his ideas are good for improvement.  His point was this plan was an easy road to master, without being a master himself.  Clearly if the road to becoming a master were simple than many more of us would be titled players.  However this is not the case because it is not easy.  Hence why we are disagreeing with his assumption.  Had he said this is my plan to improve and try to make master, or if he was already a titled player and said this was my plan to becoming a master, then it would be a different story.  Many people chimed in and added comments such as studying endgames, and omar was insisting that it is not that important and his plan is best, when in fact he has no idea if the plan will work because he is not a titled player.  Maybe it will work who knows.  But to say that this is a full proof piece of cake plan to become a master is a bit silly.

omar_kj
[COMMENT DELETED]
omar_kj
[COMMENT DELETED]
vinsvis

In response to mattyf9:

Still, my (quickly made and not very important in this for the rest quite interesting thread) point was that 1400blows didn't reply to Omar's content, but rejected it on the base of him having not made master (i.e. his rating), while claiming ratings shouldn't be measured in a discussion. And he did it very childishly, hence my support to Omar. Whether his plan works is another discussion. It would certainly make you a better player, like most serious chess study I imagine. 

UnknownGone

Easy road to a Master title

?

Easy way: Cheat, Use Houdini and Remember the moves for all possible combinations in chess including variations.

Hard way: Become Jesus.

Right way: Train hard and stop making threads about stuff I won't be reading.
alec94x7
omar_kj wrote:

I think I have put together a decent way to become a master, even if not a very high rated one.

I put on my glasses and read your lengthy post there's not one word in there that mentions the importance of studying  the endgame in a very serious way except for a very brief mention of Mark Dvortskey's book your post gave me the impression you consider the endgame more of an after thought.

It's very dangerous to put a delusional idea in kids and younger players heads out there they can achieve mastery of chess without a thorough knowledge of the elements or the endgame.

TheGreatOogieBoogie

What would you recommend against the Scotch?  I'm currently looking at some Steinitz games with 4...Qh4 but it seems too play for tricks instead of logical play.  Could you recommend a sound non-4...Nf6 alternative?  What are the pros and cons of 4...Qf6 for example?  I'm starting on OTB soon and will start off with 1...e5 against 1.e4 and already plan on using the 1.e4,e5 2.Nf3,Nc6 3.Bb5,Bc5 variation of the Ruy Lopez as Schiller recommends that for those just starting out. 

molokombo

why would you listen to anything eric schiller recommends? as for the scotch, what is wrong with the classical mainline? e4 e5 nf3 nf6 d4 exd nxd4 bc5 be3 qf6 c3 etc? seems to give a relatively straightforward game.

omar_kj
[COMMENT DELETED]
Cidragon

no one explain me how study 5 games in 1 hour.

MrDamonSmith
Cidragon wrote:

no one explain me how study 5 games in 1 hour.

It's simple Cidragon. You average one every 12 minutes.

That's about blitz pace, correct? I'm sorry, I'm just doing the math. It's a habit.

omar_kj

Thanks a lot for all the comments guys. I took the opportunity to revise the original post to accomodate some of the recommendations and concerns you guys put up. The input of the FM above is also gladly received. If there is anything further, just let me know and I will add it to the original post. I hope it will benefit a number of you who are sincerely looking to improve your game. Please don't mind the title of the forum post. I am hardly in a position to say that the master title is easy to get as I am not one myself. I am, however, pursuing it and I can share what I have learned so far :)

Martin0

I think the new version is a clear improvement Smile Thanks for spending time changing it. I will definetly come back to read things through again later and consider doing some of the recommendations. I was worried for a while that all your tips was gone when the comment was deleted.

ernestosim01

Definitely better. I hope no more lambasting now. Censors should be glad.

omar_kj

great!

william314

I think that Omar should be given a lot of credit for the way he's handled this. All Omar tried to do was suggest a simple plan for improvement and all he got was pounded for his efforts. But, instead of being offended, Omar used the criticism constructively to improve his plan. Bravo Omar!

omar_kj

Thank you for that comment william :)