Forums

First OTB tournament. What to expect?

Sort:
Bronco

It's unrated / U900 (beginners tourny)

What is the normal / courteous way to go about things?

Is there any talking to your opponnent, like "nice move", "I didn't see that", "OUCH!!" ?

If I have a question for the TD do I pause the clock? or ask TD to pause clock?

Are you allowed to wear headphones? Do people really do that??

Which opponents set is used? Is it the black pieces since white has first move?

Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance!

Kingpatzer

In the USA you'll likely want to bring your board, pieces, clock, scorebook and at least 2 pens or sharpened pencils. You'll also want something to pass the time between rounds such as a novel, or games on your phone or whatever.

Somewhere between 1/2 hour before and 10 minutes before the round is scheduled the TD should post hte pairings. While you're waiting for the pairings to be posted hang out in the skittles room and meet people, play bughouse, or whatever you want to do in order to relax. 

Once the pairings are up, see if you're black or white, your board number, and the name of your opponent. Write that information down on your scoresheet. If you don't have a scorebook, they usually provide scoresheets on site. 

Make your way to your table. The tables will usually be labelled with board numbers so you can easily find where you are located. If you are black you will be expected to set up the board and clock. If you don't have a digital clock, ask your opponent if they have one and use theirs. No matter whose clock you use, make certain you are familiar with how it operates, including how to pause the clock and how to add time to either side in the event of penalty. 

Introduce yourself to your opponent and make small talk until the start of the round.

Shake your opponent's hand and begin play. You will want to write your move down AFTER you make it on the board, not before. Do not make any marks on your scoresheet beyond your move -- many coaches mistakenly tell their students to put all kinds of information on the scoresheet, but this is not legal. Only the move information may be recorded, and it must be recorded after the move is made, doing it before hand is considered a form of "note taking" and a very hard core TD might penalize it (though at an u/900 unrated that is not likely!)

Once the games are underway you don't want to talk to your opponent at all. Doing so is considered a distraction and is very much "unsportsmanlike" behavior, even if you are complimenting them on a good move. 

When the game is over, ask your opponent if they would like to go to the skittle room and analyze the game. Do not analyze the game at the playing table, as this can be a distraction for those around you who are still playing.

If you have a question, you need to pause the clock and raise your hand to attract the TD or one of the assistants. 

You may wear headphones, and yes, many people do that. Personally, I'm a fan of earplugs since I don't like listening to music, but stray noises do distract me. 

Make sure you let your opponent's know it is your first tournament. You'll find most people will be quite helpful if you have any questions or issues. 

Good luck, make sure you let us know how you did!

beardogjones
[COMMENT DELETED]
Bronco

Awesome info Kingpatzer thanks!

Another question. The games are G/25. That means no delay right, just 25 minutes per side?

Kingpatzer

G/25 means that the game is in 25 minutes. You'll want to check with the TD as to what the delay is. 

The default DELAY for USCF games is 5 seconds per move. There is no default increment. The TD has the option of setting the delay differently. Unless otherwise noted, G/25 means that the game is 25 minutes with 0 increment and 5 second delay.  

Ziryab
Kingpatzer wrote:
Shake your opponent's hand and begin play. You will want to write your move down AFTER you make it on the board, not before. Do not make any marks on your scoresheet beyond your move -- many coaches mistakenly tell their students to put all kinds of information on the scoresheet, but this is not legal. Only the move information may be recorded, and it must be recorded after the move is made, doing it before hand is considered a form of "note taking" and a very hard core TD might penalize it (though at an u/900 unrated that is not likely!)

This information is inaccurate. FIDE rules specify that a move must be written after the move is played, but there is an exception when claiming a draw by repetition. USCF rules do not specify that writing the move before making it is forbidden (they tried this rule a few years ago, but it was quickly rejected).

USCF rules also specify that draw offers must be recorded on the scoresheet, although almost no one follows the practice.

I cannot find anything in the USCF rules that prohibit other marks, but it is worth noting that scoresheets are the property of the tournament organizer (a rule often ignored in my experience). I believe that FIDE rules do so prohibit these extra marks.

Kingpatzer

Since I don't have a current USCF rule book, I'll concede that the USCF may differ from FIDE. 

The FIDE rule that matters here is:

In the course of play each player is required to record his own moves and those of his opponent in the correct manner, move after move, as clearly and legibily as possible, in the algebraic notation (See Appendix C), on the scoresheet prescribed for the competition.

It is forbidden to write the moves in advance, unless the player is claiming a draw according to Article 9.2, or 9.3 or adjourning a game according to the Guidelines of Adjourned Games point 1.a.

A player may reply to his opponent’s move before recording it, if he so wishes. He must record his previous move before making another.

Both players must record the offer of a draw on the scoresheet. (See Appendix C.13)

If a player is unable to keep score, an assistant, who must be acceptable to the arbiter, may be provided by the player to write the moves. His clock shall be adjusted by the arbiter in an equitable way.

MoonlessNight
Are you playing at All the Kings Men?
MoonlessNight
(I was at their last tourney and should be able to help you out)
Bronco

Yes. Now I'm nervous after reading your other post. Sounds like a lot of big shooters there by looking at your ratingLaughing. My buddy and I are both going, he's a little bit better than myself but it should be fun.

How was the December tourny? Nice turnout?

Kingpatzer

Don't be nervous. Be happy with any wins and learn from any losses. You'll get great experience and nothing will help your game like serious OTB play. Make sure you take your time every move. Read Dan Heisman's articles on time management and thought process and try to employ those ideas where it makes sense.

http://danheisman.home.comcast.net/~danheisman/Articles/Novice_Nook_Links.

MoonlessNight
Don't be scared about the strength of the players, all the players were easy (except a friend of mine) you should do OK.
cornedbeefhashvili

No talking to your opponent. Your opponent should not talk to you.

Sit on your hands. Remember, it's touch move. No takebacks. A touched piece is the piece that should be moved. And don't forget to press the clock after you have made your move. If you are playing a hot girl... Wait, I'll private message you my phone number.....

cornedbeefhashvili
Bronco70 wrote:

Yes. Now I'm nervous after reading your other post. Sounds like a lot of big shooters there by looking at your rating. My buddy and I are both going, he's a little bit better than myself but it should be fun.

How was the December tourny? Nice turnout?

Don't be afraid! Go with what you know. Go for blood!

PrawnEatsPrawn
cornedbeefhashvili wrote:

If you are playing a hot girl...

.... then you're still sleeping.

WAKE UP! it's nearly time for the first round.

Bronco

I just knew Prawn would have some sage adviceLaughing

cornedbeefhashvili
PrawnEatsPrawn wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIwalG_1IbY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep7LTCfEqjI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTqVgWbrna8

PrawnEatsPrawn
PrawnEatsPrawn wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIwalG_1IbY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep7LTCfEqjI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTqVgWbrna8

Ah yes! the dream.

Kingpatzer

And people wonder why there are so few women in chess . . . 

cornedbeefhashvili
Kingpatzer wrote:

And people wonder why there are so few women in chess . . . 

You're just talking about the pretty ones, right?