x
Chess - Play & Learn

Chess.com

FREE - In Google Play

FREE - in Win Phone Store

VIEW

Flagging and chess etiquette

  • #1

    I'm hearing more and more people saying "he flagged me!" but like it's an insult.
    Flagging means (i think) winning on time when you're in losing position, right? And if bullet and blitz hugely turn around time then time should be considered in your overall strategy, no?


    I'm just a little confused when i hear people say flagging is cheating (sometime they won't even say flag but cheat) or more like flagging is dishonorable. Could someone enlighten me around chess etiquette of flagging, or winning on time?

  • #2

    It's not cheating or rude. They're just angry they lost on time in a winning position. Clock management is a part of the game.

  • #3

    It's just poor sportsmanship, that's all. Online & in many master events (if there are enough arbiters), it's automatic when time expires. But even in small local events, it's silly not to call time when your opponent flags (the proper use of the term).

  • #4

    You can only flag yourself. (Except maybe for one-sided lag)

    In chess you invest time and pieces, good management of both wins games. If one player invests a lot of time then his opponent can choose to play for time, fair and square....

  • #5

    Today I learned from @Brontide88 that I'm a POOR SPORT because his flag fell after he fielded a phone call from his stockbroker during a blitz game and I had to look at him in zugzwang for four minutes as he sold all his shares in Microsoft.   

  • #6

    - @oregonpatzer Maybe you misunderstood what Brontide88 meant?

  • #7

    Imagine the following situation:

    Boss: You didn't finished your work in time. 

    Angry Chess Player It's your fault for not giving me enough time.

    Boss: I would say your time management is bad, you've had enough time to do it.

    Angry Chess Player: That's enough I quit, I have no time for that.

     

     

  • #8
    Good analogy, Xharx.
  • #9

    Winning on time is as honourable as winning on board.

  • #10

    wanmokewan wrote:

    It's not cheating or rude. They're just angry they lost on time in a winning position. Clock management is a part of the game.

    Here, here...
  • #11
    Pedralicamosa wrote:

    I'm hearing more and more people saying "he flagged me!" but like it's an insult.
    Flagging means (i think) winning on time when you're in losing position, right? And if bullet and blitz hugely turn around time then time should be considered in your overall strategy, no?


    I'm just a little confused when i hear people say flagging is cheating (sometime they won't even say flag but cheat) or more like flagging is dishonorable. Could someone enlighten me around chess etiquette of flagging, or winning on time?

    The clock, and time mangament is part of the game.  

  • #12

    Surely all these comments on flagging and cheating are from within, because as long as humans are involved, monitors, arbitrators or whomever. There will be some biased cheating. It's always done with the clock. Always!

  • #13
    gimmydat333 wrote:

    Surely all these comments on flagging and cheating are from within, because as long as humans are involved, monitors, arbitrators or whomever. There will be some biased cheating. It's always done with the clock. Always!

    If you play in OTB tournaments, and online.  You will notice a common theme between the two.  The things you see people do, dont do, and complain about online, doesnt happen in OTB play.  Consider the source, and the media.  Being annonymous has a powerful effect on some.  

Top

Online Now