Forums

Funniest OTB Moment

Sort:
iliketosneeze
[COMMENT DELETED]
ThrillerFan

I've had some funny games, like one where I was flat out down a rook and my opponent allowed me to checkmate him with a simple Qxg2 (with a Black bishop on b7 on an open diagonal that is).

However, I did hear once of a true story similar to yours.  I never heard of pre-moving over the board, didn't think it was legal, and would never do it.  I do, however, send conditional moves sometimes in Correspondence Chess, but never like this one.  Supposedly, one time, somebody answered 1.d4 with 1...g6, and say "If 2. Any Legal Move, then 2.Bg7", so the game went 1.d4 g6 2.Bh6 Bg7 3.Bxg7 1-0

Pat_Zerr

Making premoves OTB is just bad practice.  No need to tell your opponent what you're going to do, just let them find out when you do it.

Scottrf

Fair play to him for following it up.

waffllemaster

Heh, cocky bastard... but I guess he was honorable.

I would have just smirked and captured on c3 Innocent

TheGreatOogieBoogie

When people are copying you they're playing a cheap "wait and see" game where their so-called "plan" consists of simply waiting for you to make a mistake, and Nh4? is obviously bad as it no longer controls its central squares while forcing you to weaken your light squares around the king (or just move the knight back).  

Also, 4.c3 avoids the symmetry of the four knights as black already has a knight on c6.   

The_AlphaWolf

lol that was funny indeed.

why not play Nf3? then he must play an illegal move Tongue Out

The funniest things I can speak off OTB has happened to a friend of mine playing in a teammatch.

Imagine the following, the games have all started, total silence except for some clocks ticking,.. then his opponent thought he could easily win a piece. He 'traps' it and when a move later he can capture it, he shouts out in a really loud voice  "And that is a piece!" Which offcourse is very rude. However he was quite wrong in taking it, my friend had a discovered attack, which lead to a double attack on Queen and King. When my friend captured the Queen mere minutes after "losing" his piece he shouted out "And that is the Queen!"  Immediatly after that his opponent left and was nowhere to be found. Laughing. It's a couple of years ago now, but at a BBQ or something the subject still comes up, or even during friendly games when "winning" a piece (as a joke offcourse)

Also when I walk passed lower rated boards and I hear dialogues like,.. Player A "Check!" Player B "No that's no check" Player A "Yes it is"
Player B "No it isnt!"  Player A "I attack your king"  Player B "It is checkmate you idiot"  those always crack me up...

iliketosneeze

The_AlphaWolf wrote:

lol that was funny indeed.

why not play Nf3? then he must play an illegal move

The funniest things I can speak off OTB has happened to a friend of mine playing in a teammatch.

Imagine the following, the games have all started, total silence except for some clocks ticking,.. then his opponent thought he could easily win a piece. He 'traps' it and when a move later he can capture it, he shouts out in a really loud voice  "And that is a piece!" Which offcourse is very rude. However he was quite wrong in taking it, my friend had a discovered attack, which lead to a double attack on Queen and King. When my friend captured the Queen mere minutes after "losing" his piece he shouted out "And that is the Queen!"  Immediatly after that his opponent left and was nowhere to be found. . It's a couple of years ago now, but at a BBQ or something the subject still comes up, or even during friendly games when "winning" a piece (as a joke offcourse)

Also when I walk passed lower rated boards and I hear dialogues like,.. Player A "Check!" Player B "No that's no check" Player A "Yes it is" Player B "No it isnt!"  Player A "I attack your king"  Player B "It is checkmate you idiot"  those always crack me up...

Haha the last one cracked me up haha