Forums

future of chess

Sort:
bgianis

Less than 2 years ago FIDE decided to rate rapid and blitz games like standard chess with separate elo ratings. This was a good evolution because more information about players can be accumulated and the description of their power can be more detailed.

What else do you think that they can do in order to promote chess? I believe that chess 960 and 2880 can be included in the schedule of official tournaments and gradually become autonomous and have their own elo. Random starting positions attract many amateurs and professionals and I believe that in the near future all forms of chess, standard, rapid, blitz, 960, 2880 will be part of the players' profile in FIDE's ratings page. Everybody will have the choice regarding which tournaments to participate in.

I hope that FIDE's intention of requesting an annual pay from players to maintain ratings is just an idea that will never be applied. This will discourage non-professionals from participating in official tournaments and those people are 99% of international rating holders.

bgianis

Another disputed issue is the point system. There are people who insist on adopting the one used in football. But what does that have to do with chess? Then we could propose to adopt the one used in volleyball! I think that the point system is not a problem. Any ideas?

bgianis
[COMMENT DELETED]
argonaut-hellen-makedon

I think, the point system could change and become more competetive( like the football one),because that would givethe players greater will to win.I agree with bgianis that should be organised toyrnaments with 960 and 2800 and the players get elo for them.But I read today that FIDE has changed again some rules of chess games(in the conference of Esthonia 2013).I am not sure if players can adopt or get used to such quick changes.

bgianis

In the introduction of the new "FIDE laws of chess" document it is mentioned that "The English text is the authentic version of the Laws of Chess (which was adopted at the 84th
FIDE Congress at Tallinn (Estonia) coming into force on 1 July 2014."

So all chess players have to get used to the changes, whether they are ready or not, starting from yesterday.

I noticed 1 change, that the threshold between rapid and blitz play will be the 10 minutes and not the 15 as it was until now. It means that now the rapid elo will be affected by faster games. So the tendency is to make time controls faster in rapid games.

Anastasios

Συγγνώμη φίλε Ιωάννη, αλλά εγώ παίζω σκάκι μόνο για την πλάκα μου και δεν με ενδιαφέρουν ούτε τα 960 ούτε οι βαθμολογήσεις.

TheGreatOogieBoogie

I want them to introduce a Havel for a specific varient.  In Dark Souls Havel the Rock was a heavily armored bishop (who seems ludicrously hard at first until you figure out his gimmick and when to time parries, then you take no damage) so being a knight/bishop hybrid the Havel would be a very fitting name for the piece.  It's top would be modeled after his helmet.  The knight looks like the horsie and the Havel looks like the knight ^_^

pullin

Magnus Flower-son of the Hichiki Tree Tribe is what you're looking for I believe. SurprisedInnocent

The guy who wrote in all Greek letters won the thread!

bgianis

Thank you all for answering my thread.

Well, 960 has its own flaws, such as starting positions that favor white.

I think a better idea is hand selecting a small number, lets say 10, of the 960 positions that are balanced and interesting. Then before the game starts, perhaps each player can select against a few starting positions, and of the few that remain a random one is chosen and play begins.

Importantly, and this goes for any activity, not just chess, and not just games, for depth to exist there must be constraints and structure. The less someone is able to study a game (like chess960) the less depth there is to the game play when people sit down to play it. So fundamentally I think 960 is flawed even without imbalanced starting positions. However adding a few starting positions opens up theory, while still allowing players to build up their knowledge and skill.

bgianis

Yes, maybe there must be a careful and thorough study on 960 and 2800 before starting with ratings about them. FIDE will have to discuss about regulations and bounds.

ModestAndPolite

FIDE sucks.  It is a corrupt organisation in all kinds of ways, but as it affects me ... FIDE wants a fee of 300 Euros to change my affiliation from England, where I was born, to the Netherlands, where I have lived for the last eight years, and plan to stay.  300 Euros to change a field in a database??  I can understand it when it is a strong GM that can improve a national team. For such a player they cannot change country flippantly, at nominal cost.  But I am just an ordinary club player (Elo: 1977).  What is the point in making it expensive for me to simply register the facts?

bgianis

ModestAndPolite
They could probably define different prices for different elo, or make an algorithm to calculate it. 300euro is too much for a club player!