Get rid of stalemate

rychessmaster1
llama45 wrote:
rychessmaster1 wrote:

You can hold RvB even with stalemate being a loss

Can you not? 

I'm not sure. I think the king can be forced back, so you'd need to resort to the corner stalemate eventually, but I haven't actually looked into it.

I’m personally not sure either 

But if I recall the corner with the right bishop isn’t a requirement to draw

rychessmaster1

It would be close

Dah_Happyhoppyhorsi3
kartikeya_tiwari wrote:
Dah_Happyhoppyhorsi3 wrote:
kartikeya_tiwari wrote:
Dah_Happyhoppyhorsi3 wrote:
kartikeya_tiwari wrote:
Dah_Happyhoppyhorsi3 wrote:
kartikeya_tiwari wrote:
EBowie wrote:
The rules of chess are good as they are and should never be changed.

If you cause a stalemate while having a winning position then you have not completed your job and do not deserve a win.

Instead of suggesting rule changes, perhaps spend more time studying and trying to improve your play.

"The rules of chess are good" - That's your subjective opinion. Chess rules have changed a million times over the years, no reason why they can't change once more.

For example, i have a suggestion, change the goal of chess and make it "one who captures the enemy king first, wins"...  can you logically tell me what the issue is with this rule change i suggested?

the goal of chess is to capture the king, apparently the rule makers decided that they should assume that you dont blunder your king. i mean, if you want, you can start a petition, but i dont think the work will be worth it  

No, that is the problem. The goal of the chess is to not capture the king. That is the only reason why stalemate exists because you cannot capture an enemies' king.  Does it not sound stupid? the rules should be simple, "capture the enemies king" , that's it. How hard is it?

what do you mean when you say "the goal of chess is to not capture the king"?

you cannot capture an enemies' king in chess, i hope u know that.

then what is checkmate if you cant capture the king? thank you for the explanation in advance

Well the goal of chess is weird... the goal is not "capture the enemies' king" but instead it is "check the enemy king when he has no way to get out of check in the next move"... it's stupid and over complicated. You aren't actually supposed to capture the enemies' king.  Stalemate exists literally only due to this rule

thanks, but i still have a question. isnt checkmate forcing the king to be captured, therefore capturing the opponents king on the next move? 

rychessmaster1

I will look further into it 

1NF1DEL
Avoiding stalemate is a skill. It must remain. Get better.
rychessmaster1

Pretty sure its a draw

 

Chessflyfisher

I say get rid of those who want to get rid of stalemate.

IHaveTheSauce
Chessflyfisher wrote:

I say get rid of those who want to get rid of stalemate.

*starts demonic chant

Occidamus omnes neci traderent

Occidamus omnes neci traderent

Occidamus omnes neci traderent

Occidamus omnes neci traderent

Occidamus omnes neci traderent

Occidamus omnes neci traderent

Occidamus omnes neci traderent

Occidamus omnes neci traderent

Occidamus omnes neci traderent

Occidamus omnes neci traderent

Occidamus omnes neci traderent

Occidamus omnes neci traderent

Occidamus omnes neci traderent

Occidamus omnes neci traderent

Occidamus omnes neci traderent

Occidamus omnes neci traderent

Occidamus omnes neci traderent

Occidamus omnes neci traderent

Occidamus omnes neci traderent

Occidamus omnes neci traderent

Occidamus omnes neci traderent

Occidamus omnes neci traderent

Occidamus omnes neci traderent

 

reedbunting

one things for sure chess has been here longer than you have. You don't have to play, you won't be missed

Prufrock1453

Jeremy Silman has a good quote: "A surprising stalemate is the chess God's way of punishing overconfidence."

PafonsoPT

If I'm not mistaken there was actually a time (~500-600 years ago?) wherein some places stalemate was actually considered a loss for the one responsible for it lol

Albeit it has always been a controversial topic throughout history the draw it's a fixed idea now with fundamental logic as a lot have pointed out in this thread

zone_chess

These players just don't understand what chess is about yet. Instead of playing and playing, you need to focus on mating, mating, mating. If you are a rook and knight up, do a rook+knight mate. Wait, also your king can come up. Lock in the king, and mate. Stalemate is just a lesson to be more creative and learn to mate with lethal precision.

MEXIMARTINI
Prufrock1453 wrote:

Jeremy Silman has a good quote: "A surprising stalemate is the chess God's way of punishing overconfidence."

 

MEXIMARTINI
llama45 wrote:
rychessmaster1 wrote:

Pretty sure its a draw

 

Hmm, seems right.

 

 

NotKilljoy
DigitalWarfare wrote:

Nobody wants it in the game. If you're so beaten that you can't make a move - it's over. You lose. Why they EVER put this inane nonsense into the game is beyond me. Someone gets destroyed and then there's this weird, bizarre technicality you have to watch out for when they just refuse to resign? The people who made this game are beyond masochistic. This is a CLEAR black win. The fact that the guy hadn't already resigned highlights my point about the personality types in this game. BEYOND STUBBORN. Just...to the point of stupidity. 

 

 

After a game like that...you don't even want to play anymore. You can't just chill out and play this game. There's just too much minor nonsense to have to pay attention to. 

Gotta go close that account and open up another one. That game doesn't count. There was no draw there. This highlights exactly what I'm complaining about: This is much, much more stress and aggravation than it is anything else. It's so nit picky and meticulous. 

Well it's your fault if you put your opponent into a position where they can't move and aren't checked. Be more observative about your moves even if you think it is "nitpicky" helps you learn about the position and you learn not to do it again.

mercatorproject

https://www.chess.com/live#g=5866020516

and get rid of the 3 move rep draw while we are at it!

I played terribly, but just hung in there.

2Ke21-0

This is not a controversial topic at all — rather one-sided against the original poster of the topic; and therefore, I will unfollow it.

Anonymous_Dragon

It's so nice to see such salty people out there.