Forums

Shame on you!!

Sort:
ElDude56

I HOPRE YOU GET CANCER

IDIOT

Message rec'd from opponent while playing. No comment req'd. I just want to shame the bastard.

No public naming and shaming allowed.  Mod.

adamplenty

http://support.chess.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/122/0/what-should-i-do-when-another-member-makes-rude-or-abusive-comments-towards-me

ElDude56

thanks adamplenty - next time i will disable him - unfortunately not physically. Just kidding!

Christiansoldeir007 - you're right about the cussing but where do you see that no naming and shaming is allowed?

Vivinski

to be fair, cancer is used pretty common as a curse word in the Netherlands, don't take it too personally

ivandh

I think the "move on with your life" strategy works best

ElDude56

Ah yes the mod came. What a great policy! So these 'people' can continue to abuse their opponents safe in the knowledge that not only are they anonymous, but that chess.com actually protects them by not naming them. I suggest that they should be given a warning and if they do not heed that, then they should be thrown out. It's called CONSEQUENCES. And as a consequence of this distorted policy by chess.com, I will be seriously considering whether I will remain part of this community that protects low lifes. Plenty of fish (in this case, chess websites) to choose from.

Read post #3 for what to do if you wish to report abuse. Mod.

corrijean

Or try playing correspondence chess. I've never had a person trash talk or be rude in correspondence, and I've been playing it for several years. The short time controls seem to frazzle people more.

ElDude56
Bankwell wrote:

[Language. Mod]

I see on your profile that you have been described as a worthless troll. Now I wonder why that would be.....

jerrycrabill

Well, here is my take on this important matter.  In my 67 years on this planet, I have observed several important things.  The first is we are no longer allowed to smoke in restaurants (at least in america); second, family values have declined - primarily because of our refusal to take down the media for their moral degredation of family values themselves; third, people tend to be more rude to their fellow man (owing to overpopulation and of course the internet); and fourth, the price of cigarretts soon will increase to permit more research on cancer.

Therefore, it is no surprise to me that (1) some people on this site verbally abuse others and (2) the admin folks seem to shy away from banning those who do let loose with abuse.  I wonder why they take such a rigorous stand on cheating (and they do publish those names were banned due to cheating) but not do so for abuse.

But, that is their choice.  We who reside on a higher intellectual level, however, tend to have difficulty ignoring such abuse (as one writer opined).  We also have difficulty "just getting over it" since, being people who play by the rules, the fact that some folks can seemly throw out abuse without consequences is bothersome.  It is like a loud motorcycle racing past your house early each morning, and despite frequent calls to the police, who admit that such noise/activity violates the law, nothing gets done to catch the person and levy consequences.  Such is frustrating and unfair to those who must suffer the contiuing abuse.

As for moving to other sites, my advice is to stay with chess.com.  I have already done the research - having belonged to 7 sites already.  I did my share of complaning; even copied a site's own policy on abuse which was sent to the site administrator; I then emailed an exact copy of verbal abuse I received from one player; all to no avail.

So, like this site mentions, "Be Nice" is the best policy.  With that, our playing experiences are much more enjoyable, one actually lives longer if one's emotions remain calm, there is much less opportunity/reason for conflict (either verbal, armed, cyber, etc.). 

But again,  given my 67 years on this planet (sheesh!!  that soon will be 68!!), I have observed even more!!   Such includes (1) most of us are nice most of the time, (2) there always will be unpleasant people amonst us (3) there assuredly will be pot shots taken  at this narrative (my career of 35 years involved constant writing of loooooooooooong and detailed reports - hence, the length of this essay) and (4) the price of cigarettes will keep going up.

Thank you for your attention

Regards and a nice adieu, auf weidersehen, avoir, caio, etc.  etc..  :):):)

Dr. Jerry Crabill

Philospophy and Ethics

ElDude56

Dr Crabill, thanks for your input. You have articulated the problem in a far better way than I could ever have hoped to do. It's all down to consequences - if this person abuses a competitor and wishes him serious ill health (whether or not it is his native country's favourite way to abuse someone!!) and goes off scot free to abuse others, then I am afraid that chess.com is failing the wider community of members who are decent and take a loss on the chin.

As for cigarettes I stopped overnight from 40 a day to nil about 18 years ago. Don't ask me how I managed it - suffice to say that for several months I could say exactly the number of days and hours that I was abstinent. It preyed on my mind that much. I still dream of waking up one morning and reading that cigarettes are ,after all, good for your health!  Not in this life, I'm afraid!! 

Thanks again.

theopenfile
ElDude56 wrote:

I HOPRE YOU GET CANCER

IDIOT

Message rec'd from opponent while playing. No comment req'd. I just want to shame the bastard.

No public naming and shaming allowed.  Mod.

That is just sick!!!! i mean who spells hope with an R.  

Just ignore em!

ivandh

^ Exactly, it is a waste of time to trouble yourself with such losers. Its nice to believe in a world where every bad guy will get his just deserts, but at some point you learn to deal with occasional wrongs. Just think how much of your life you've spent on some random loser's comments instead of doing something you enjoy.

trysts
jerrycrabill wrote:

We who reside on a higher intellectual level, however, tend to have difficulty ignoring such abuse (as one writer opined). 

Or, you haven't had a lot of experience with verbal abuse. I doubt that you can't ignore verbal abuse, because you "reside on a higher intellectual level". That doesn't make sense to me. People who are able to ignore it, seem to be in a better place.Wink

VULPES_VULPES
jerrycrabill wrote:

Well, here is my take on this important matter.  In my 67 years on this planet, I have observed several important things.  The first is we are no longer allowed to smoke in restaurants (at least in america); second, family values have declined - primarily because of our refusal to take down the media for their moral degredation of family values themselves; third, people tend to be more rude to their fellow man (owing to overpopulation and of course the internet); and fourth, the price of cigarretts soon will increase to permit more research on cancer.

Therefore, it is no surprise to me that (1) some people on this site verbally abuse others and (2) the admin folks seem to shy away from banning those who do let loose with abuse.  I wonder why they take such a rigorous stand on cheating (and they do publish those names were banned due to cheating) but not do so for abuse.

But, that is their choice.  We who reside on a higher intellectual level, however, tend to have difficulty ignoring such abuse (as one writer opined).  We also have difficulty "just getting over it" since, being people who play by the rules, the fact that some folks can seemly throw out abuse without consequences is bothersome.  It is like a loud motorcycle racing past your house early each morning, and despite frequent calls to the police, who admit that such noise/activity violates the law, nothing gets done to catch the person and levy consequences.  Such is frustrating and unfair to those who must suffer the contiuing abuse.

As for moving to other sites, my advice is to stay with chess.com.  I have already done the research - having belonged to 7 sites already.  I did my share of complaning; even copied a site's own policy on abuse which was sent to the site administrator; I then emailed an exact copy of verbal abuse I received from one player; all to no avail.

So, like this site mentions, "Be Nice" is the best policy.  With that, our playing experiences are much more enjoyable, one actually lives longer if one's emotions remain calm, there is much less opportunity/reason for conflict (either verbal, armed, cyber, etc.). 

But again,  given my 67 years on this planet (sheesh!!  that soon will be 68!!), I have observed even more!!   Such includes (1) most of us are nice most of the time, (2) there always will be unpleasant people amonst us (3) there assuredly will be pot shots taken  at this narrative (my career of 35 years involved constant writing of loooooooooooong and detailed reports - hence, the length of this essay) and (4) the price of cigarettes will keep going up.

Thank you for your attention

Regards and a nice adieu, auf weidersehen, avoir, caio, etc.  etc..  :):):)

Dr. Jerry Crabill

Philospophy and Ethics

I second everything you have said. 

raul72

What about a penalty for verbal abuse. Maybe these people shouldnt be allowed to post for a month for a first offense. for a second offense---6 months. For the third offense---one year.

if such a system of rules were put into effect---people would become more civil to each other.

PLAVIN81

I AGREE WITH echec 06

jerrycrabill

I agree with everybody and thanks for being nice.

love to you all (except when I am "whuppin'" you on the board of course:):)

clms_chessGreatBeast

You are an awesome writer!

electricpawn

Dude!

electricpawn