Forums

Good chess books?

Sort:
lucasaurelio

Hi everyone. My rating(blitz) here is 944. I'm looking for a book to study. I need good tactics and strategy books. And I have another question. At my level it is recommended to study masters matches? If so suggest me books with commented games and if possible a software that can help me with this.

Thankful.

baddogno

My standard answer to this is to check out Coach Heisman's web site at danheisman.com.  He has a great recommended books section.  

FreddyPatzer

I've started watching Dan Heisman's Chess.com TV show, and pretty much everything he says makes sense to me. I suggest taking a look at the books he recommends at his site, and taking a look at his collection of Novice Nook articles.

http://danheisman.home.comcast.net/~danheisman/Events_Books/General_Book_Guide.htm

baddogno

And of course all these threads are archived so a "search forums" should result in about 17 gazillion previous posts on member recommended books many of which contain excellent advice.

ThrillerFan

944?  You should be reading books on endgames.  After that, tactics.  After that, strategy.  Avoid opening books until you're 1800+.

Reason to study endgames first is if you don't know how to win/draw K+P vs K, or K+R+P vs K+R, then what do you think happens when you add 20 more pieces to the board?  You just get more confused!