Forums

Good exercices?

Sort:
FreshDefense

Hello Im wondering if anyone knows about any good excercices to improve your attacks/middlegame/endgame with fot example specific programs and websites or something else. I know about practising tactics but are there any excercices to improve your strategy and general play during the whole game and not only forced moves

Thanks

Benedictine

It sounds like going over annotated master games is really the thing you are looking for. The Mammoth Book of Chess Games is a great book that might suit you.

FreshDefense

Benedictine wrote:

It sounds like going over annotated master games is really the thing you are looking for. The Mammoth Book of Chess Games is a great book that might suit you.

Ok thanks seems like something I will do but is there anything that can make me practise more actively because it feels like only reading will only help passively and id like to use and practise My knowledge with some excercise

waffllemaster

I don't have the books myself but from what I've heard Yuspov's Build Up Your Chess series sounds like what you're describing.

Other books I know of:

"Positional Chess Handbook" by Gelfer.  Positions from real games organized by strategic themes.  Not a puzzle book.  I'd say not for beginners though.

"Practical Chess Exercises" by Cheng (although not categorized by themes).  Also the puzzles given may also be tactical puzzles... you never know what type of solution to look for (just like a real game).  Possibly good for beginners.

"Chess Puzzle Book 2: Test and Improve Your Positional Intuition" by Muller.  I don't really recommend this one though because although they're puzzles the positions are pretty advanced and to solve them you often have to be able to see difficult tactics in the sidelines.  I guess you could read it as an instructional book though.

Benedictine

In terms reading it can be as active or as passive as you make it. When going through games I often stop at key moments and try to find the right plans etc. You could also get some of those Move by Move annotated game books which can be more interactive. Or a good fun book like How Good is Your Chess by Daniel King.

FreshDefense

Benedictine wrote:

In terms reading it can be as active or as passive as you make it. When going through games I often stop at key moments and try to find the right plans etc. You could also get some of those Move by Move annotated game books which can be more interactive. Or a good fun book like How Good is Your Chess by Daniel King.

How good is your chess seems like something I was looking for, thanks alot!

FreshDefense

waffllemaster wrote:

I don't have the books myself but from what I've heard Yuspov's Build Up Your Chess series sounds like what you're describing.Other books I know of:"Positional Chess Handbook" by Gelfer.  Positions from real games organized by strategic themes.  Not a puzzle book.  I'd say not for beginners though."Practical Chess Exercises" by Cheng (although not categorized by themes).  Also the puzzles given may also be tactical puzzles... you never know what type of solution to look for (just like a real game).  Possibly good for beginners."Chess Puzzle Book 2: Test and Improve Your Positional Intuition" by Muller.  I don't really recommend this one though because although they're puzzles the positions are pretty advanced and to solve them you often have to be able to see difficult tactics in the sidelines.  I guess you could read it as an instructional book though.

"Practical Chess Exercises" seems good, thanks.

Benedictine

I can second the Cheng book. I have it on the kindle format very good book. You just get a blank position and it could be anything, tactical, strategic, defensive etc, similar to playing a real game. I'm just going through the very first lesson in the first Yusupov book, first impressions are very promising. These also come recommended by a lot of people and have a good reputation. Very good course it seems, but you have to be prepared to put in the work.