Forums

Greatest Chess Photos

Sort:
systemovich
Reb wrote:

Here is a picture of two teen FMs from 1998 at the Lisbon Open. Today they are two famous GMs and the top 2 players of their country ! Do you know these two players ?

The one on the right is Lenier Dominguez.

billwall

Kamsky and Anand

billwall

Judit Polgar

anonym

World Championship 1910

Alex_Kovach

http://www.nerdsonsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/ak1.jpg

Alexandra Kosteniuk

TheOldReb

Perhaps the greatest player that never won the world championship .  Paul Keres

anonym

Friedrich (Fritz) Sämisch, 1936

spoiler1
Alex_Kovach wrote:

Alexandra Kosteniuk

Ohh Yeah!Kiss

RedSoxpawn

I think the very first one should have been more appropriate with the chess game shown with a checkmate position.

dervich
Reb wrote:
goldendog wrote:
Reb wrote:

Hey Reb, appropos of the Alekhine death pic, have you ever had the desire to go to that hotel in Portugal and seek out "the spot"?

Maybe they're holding that big peg set at the desk for that special someone?

I have been to the hotel in Estoril where Alekhine died, its not far from where I live in Lisbon. I didnt ask about the peg set though, maybe I should go back and ask?  There is some conspiracy surrounding his death and it seems taboo to talk about it. Few here believe the official version.

The hotel where Alekhine died was demolished some 40 years ago, on that spot  another hotel was then built.

The all issue about how, when and why Alekhine died was the subject of a book writen by a portuguese historian, altough i think perhaps Reb is not enough aquainted with the native language in order to have read it.

According to that book, the foto shown in the first post was almost sure to be a dramatised set up, though there is no evidence proof that it was indeed a murder ordered by KGB or others...natural death remains the more likely, all the rest are good theorical guesses but need to be supported with more data.

tr8drboi

Boy - I'm glad that Kasparov-Karpov game wasnt strip chess.

goldendog
dervich wrote:
Reb wrote:
goldendog wrote:
Reb wrote:

Hey Reb, appropos of the Alekhine death pic, have you ever had the desire to go to that hotel in Portugal and seek out "the spot"?

Maybe they're holding that big peg set at the desk for that special someone?

I have been to the hotel in Estoril where Alekhine died, its not far from where I live in Lisbon. I didnt ask about the peg set though, maybe I should go back and ask?  There is some conspiracy surrounding his death and it seems taboo to talk about it. Few here believe the official version.

The hotel where Alekhine died was demolished some 40 years ago, on that spot  another hotel was then built.

The all issue about how, when and why Alekhine died was the subject of a book writen by a portuguese historian, altough i think perhaps Reb is not enough aquainted with the native language in order to have read it.

According to that book, the foto shown in the first post was almost sure to be a dramatised set up, though there is no evidence proof that it was indeed a murder ordered by KGB or others...natural death remains the more likely, all the rest are good theorical guesses but need to be supported with more data.

Thanks for that information.

The theory that the KGB did Alekhine in would have been hard to defend. Alekhine was quite the outcast after WW2 and aligning himself with the Nazis. He had nothing according to Kotov's account and was borrowing cigarettes and as many bottles of wine as he could. All he had was his WC title, and that he had agreed to put on the line vs. Botvinnik. At least he could become a persona grata again. For Botvinnik and the Soviets, it was almost a sure thing to win the WC title. So no motive for the KGB to dust him when there was use to be made of him alive.

anonym

Alexander Alekhine (1892-1946)

by Bill Wall

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lab/7378/alekhine.htm

billwall

The proper way to resign against Kosteniuk.

billwall

Reshevsky, the later years

billwall

Seventh Seal

Kupov
Orlok wrote:

Kasparov vs Carlsen

Amazing picture, Carlsen loves the juice.

batgirl

Fischer vs. Tal in the 1959 Candidates Tournament.

(...where Tal was all four of his games against Fischer)

batgirl

Claude Frizzel Bloodgood

. . . a petty thief who killed is own mother and managed to attain a USCF chess rating of 2702 due to the closed prison pool along with possible rating manipulations. His high rating and US championship eligibility pushed the USCF to re-vamp their rating system. 

goldendog

Alekhine takes on 28 opponents in Paris, blindfold.

This forum topic has been locked