Forums

Greatest Chess Photos

Sort:
billwall

Kramnik-Topalov world championship match 2006

billwall

Charles Manson playing the Bird Man of Alcatraz (he was a stool pigeon).

billwall

Che Guevara watching a chess game.

billwall

The first chess computer

billwall

Chess Records (sorry, wrong forum)

billwall

I.A. Horowitz

TheOldReb

I really like the chess pieces in post # 10 with Fischer. Does anyone know anything about these pieces ? Is it a jacques set perhaps ? Typical set in Argentina ? 

billwall

Humphry Bogart

billwall

Viktor Korchnoi

phishcake5

10 year old Susan Polgar on a mission.

spoiler1

Wow this topic is HOT!  We may end up with 1,000,000 pics by June '09!

KEEP'EM COMIN'!

thedoorman

By far the best thread ever on chess.com

1chessking

I've never seen any of these pictures!

billwall

Smyslov in 1954

billwall

Anatoly Karpov, Bill Wall, and KGB agent

billwall

Larry Christiansen and Bill Wall, 1980

billwall

Robert Karch and Eduard Gufeld, 1990

malko

Cool photos, keep 'em coming!

Kupov
novagold wrote:

2 nice photos of Karpov, one of him observing a match at the 1978 World Championship, the other of him looking quite sinister in 1977.

Both amazing pictures, Karpov had real style.

goldendog
Reb wrote:

I really like the chess pieces in post # 10 with Fischer. Does anyone know anything about these pieces ? Is it a jacques set perhaps ? Typical set in Argentina ?

I've had that photo in the NY Times magazine since 1971 and it's not the greatest for detail, so it's hard to know where they came from. They definitely are not the same style Jaques pieces used in the Spassky match but they appear to have the Jaques lines, older and better lines.

I recall that at first the organizers wanted to us the same equipment from Capablanca-Alekhine, but they later reconsidered and wanted  to have equipment that they could say, "Here are the men and table from the Fischer-Petrosian match."

Comparing the Capa-Alekhine equipment (previous photo) to the hard-to-inspect photo from 1971, they look a lot alike. If I had to put my money down I'd say the organizers found another antique Jaques and used that.

The terms and conditions of the match might even state explicitly what men they were to use.

This forum topic has been locked