x
Chess - Play & Learn

Chess.com

FREE - In Google Play

FREE - in Win Phone Store

VIEW

gucco piano

  • #21

    dynamic*

    When did this turn into a random word game?

  • #22

    Every time I study the Giuoco Piano, they state that it means "quiet game" ;-)

  • #23
    Ziryab wrote:
    icyfire77 wrote:

    no one answered my question.

    Perhaps because you did not state it. "What is with" is sorta vague. The most reasonable assumption would be that you seek a reason for the name that you cannot spell. Post #2 covered that clearly and to the point. 

    I was referring to #22.

  • #24
    icyfire77 wrote:
    Ziryab wrote:
    icyfire77 wrote:

    no one answered my question.

    Perhaps because you did not state it. "What is with" is sorta vague. The most reasonable assumption would be that you seek a reason for the name that you cannot spell. Post #2 covered that clearly and to the point. 

    I was referring to #22.

    According to Google Translate:

    piano =

    adv. slow, in a low voice, gently 
     
    adj. flat, level, even, plane, plain, smooth, tabulate, shallow 
     
    nm. plane, plain, level land; floor, tier, deck; plan, project, schedule, arrangement; design, scheme, plot; map; piano 
     
    quiet would seem closer than soft
  • #25
    Ziryab wrote:
    icyfire77 wrote:
    Ziryab wrote:
    icyfire77 wrote:

    no one answered my question.

    Perhaps because you did not state it. "What is with" is sorta vague. The most reasonable assumption would be that you seek a reason for the name that you cannot spell. Post #2 covered that clearly and to the point. 

    I was referring to #22.

    According to Google Translate:

    piano =

    adv. slow, in a low voice, gently 
     
    adj. flat, level, even, plane, plain, smooth, tabulate, shallow 
     
    nm. plane, plain, level land; floor, tier, deck; plan, project, schedule, arrangement; design, scheme, plot; map; piano 
     
    quiet would seem closer than soft

    I meant to say quiet but why did I write soft?

  • #26
    icyfire77 wrote:

    everyone finding this forum helpful? if not I could just ruin it.

    out of the replys I got, I guess you guys think it is not so helpful.

  • #27

    I played a number of games using that kind of opening and from my thoughts it's an alright opening though it requires a massive amount of thinking during middle game.

  • #28

    There is also the Giuoco Pianissimo, which is characterized by White playing 4.d3 (or 4.c3 Nf6 5.d3) rather than an early d2-d4. It means very quiet game.

  • #29
    icyfire77 wrote:
    icyfire77 wrote:

    everyone finding this forum helpful? if not I could just ruin it.

    out of the replys I got, I guess you guys think it is not so helpful.

    It has served its purpose.  The opening has been discussed and the name has been explained.  

    It is helpful to those who do not know this opening, it's name (and how to spell it!) and what people generally think about it.

    What more can you want?

  • #30

    i used to pronounce it gyoo-ko until someone else corrected it and told me it is geek-o. both i and the guy were wrong. it is jo-ko

  • #31

    Actually it's joo-o-ko.

    jo-ko is the modern pronunciation, but it's spelled 'gioco'.

  • #32

    My Italian wife says it is spelled "Gioco" (game) and pronounced GEE-O-K-O.

    Piano in Italian means "plain (simple)".

    "tranquilo" is "quiet" in Italian.

    So there ya go!  :-P

    But nonetheless, everywhere I have studied the opening it has been trasnlated as "quiet game"... which I why I now just call it "The Italian Game"  ... saves all this confusion right!?!  lol

  • #33

    i'm italian and it's pronounced (for english) jo-co our i is pronounced as your E and the C as a K or a C like "come" ;)

  • #34
    naisel wrote:

    Actually it's joo-o-ko.

    jo-ko is the modern pronunciation, but it's spelled 'gioco'.

    +1

  • #35

    The Gucco Piano is really good at making me miss the Ruy Lopez.

  • #36

    Nobody has said gucci polo yet so I'll be that person

  • #37
    peppo-piriol wrote:

    i'm italian and it's pronounced (for english) jo-co our i is pronounced as your E and the C as a K or a C like "come" ;)

     

    Makes no sense.  You say I is pronounced as our E, yet your phonetic pronunciation contains no E.

    The way I understand it is this:

    G - like the g in goat.
    I - like the sound of "ee" in leek.
    O - like the o in bot.
    C - like the c in cat.
    O - like the o in bot.

  • #38
    BorgQueen wrote:

    The way I understand it is this:

    G - like the g in goat.
    I - like the sound of "ee" in leek.
    O - like the o in bot.
    C - like the c in cat.
    O - like the o in bot.

    In this case (g + i + another vowel) the i is silent, it's purpose is to change the sound of the g into what's called a soft g, like the g in gym.

     

    So it would be more like:

    G + I - like the g in gym

    U - like the oo in fool  (antiquated now in Italian, but it's irrelevant, it was there when the word entered English chess lingo)

    O - like the aw in law

    C - like the c in cat

    O - like the aw in law

    Anyway you could all write it in google translate and listen to it ;)

  • #39

    Thanks :-)

  • #40
    paulgottlieb wrote:

    I've often had the experience of reading a word for years without ever hearing it spoken. Sometimes my first attempt to use the word in conversation turns out badly, as I mispronounce it horribly.

    Has happened with me, also. Context is spot-on. Pronunciation is not.

Online Now