Forums

Guy sacrifice all the time!

Sort:
BlueKnightShade

Well, exchanging pieces is something different from sacrifices. A sacrifice is giving away something valuable for something less valuable. If he "exchanges" a rook for a pawn or a knight or a bishop or for no material at all it is a sacrifice.

So if your opponent sacrifices all over the place in every single game you play than the chances are that you win most games. So if you think it is annoying with all those sacrifices you can annoy him by winning.

But if you opponent is exchanging pieces all over the place it is a different matter. It has nothing to do with sacrificing.

EDIT: I can see that several people submitted replies at the same time I was writing the above, and in those replies it has been clarified that the matter is about exchange and not sacrifice.

StartlingNewEvidence
xwarriour wrote:

i suggest you play some games first. that'll determine your rating and u'll get likewise advice/help.

This is good advice although I suspect that by now you have made it quite clear what ball park your rating falls into.

kennyburns

Im playing on a app called chess time, and im rated at 1400+. I find it more fun to play with my friends than randoms. So many out there are using houdini...

xwarriour

if you are genuine about your query then play a couple of games. you'll get a know-how how you rate against guys here. And if your playing strength is 1400+ while still being confused about sac/ex then i think its a good sign.

NOTE: Dont make stupid accusations.

NomadicKnight
kennyburns wrote:

Im playing online chess vs a guy i know. He exchange all the damn time. Evreytime I'm starting to make some traps or try to get my minor piecesin the midle he just go for the trade. How should I counter this crap?

First ask yourself WHY he is trying to exchange pieces, then ask whether or not to accept his gambit or not by considering whether declining will throw off his current tactic or even his long term strategy. Probably the best advice I have received thus far is "Always ask WHY he made that move. How does it affect you? How does it benefit him?"

kennyburns
xwarriour wrote:

if you are genuine about your query then play a couple of games. you'll get a know-how how you rate against guys here. And if your playing strength is 1400+ while still being confused about sac/ex then i think its a good sign.

NOTE: Dont make stupid accusations.

Well.. I got houdini my self. So i check theyr moves, and when evry move they make are houdinis first move, then they are obviously using houdini. Unless Magnus Carlsen is in Brazil playing.

kennyburns
[COMMENT DELETED]
StartlingNewEvidence
kennyburns wrote:

Well.. I got houdini my self. So i check theyr moves, and when evry move they make are houdinis first move, then they are obviously using houdini. Unless Magnus Carlsen is in Brazil playing.

Why are we giving this guy advice? He can't speak English. He thinks that people matched up with him have got that rating by using a super GM beating engine. He doesn't understand how or why to avoid exchanges but thinks he is 1400+. The guy does not deserve our help.

kennyburns
chess_gg wrote:

I remember playing someone, many years ago, who was not a very good chess player and he forced exchanges whenever possible. And, there were no sound tactical or positional reasons. He just wanted to whittle things down to the end game where both sides have only pawns (or very little else). He wanted to turn chess into something close to the game of checkers.

I always found him to be annoying in this. Also, he was obnoxious. We played on a chess ladder at work, during lunch time. When it was my turn, he engaged in loud conversation with one of his co-workers and by facial expressions, as well as body language, expressed disdain for my very existence.

When such a player takes a piece and offers his own as an exchange, either take the exchange or use it against any weakness that he offered and perhaps you can do something tactically or positionally where he will live to regret taking your piece because it turned into a trap.

And, if you can't do any such thing, then there is only one remaining option (unless you'd prefer never to play against him again). Sharpen your end game. If he soon learns that you far outmaster him in endgames, then he won't want to go there again against you.

That's exactly what's happening! I don't feel like he have a plan or anything. He just exhange as soon as possible.

Pat_Zerr

I say use that to your advantage and set up positions where trading pieces is disadvantageous to him.  If you get a piece up, for example, him trading away his remaining pieces will hurt him in the end game because you'll still be a piece up. 

Either that, or just get used to his playing style.

TitanCG

I just saw this today lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGqaixsLGt8