x
Chess - Play & Learn

Chess.com

FREE - In Google Play

FREE - in Win Phone Store

VIEW

HELP ME!! I want to switch from e4 to d4.I am 1700 and i need a new repetoire.

Maybe you`re bluffing 

tongue.png

LOL

Did you even study Queens pawn openings?

I used to be a 1.e4 player before I switched to 1.d4 and I haven't looked back. I love d4 and my repertoire is based on it. However, if you are aggressive and want another opening - perhaps 1.Nf3 (Reti) should be tried. As a bonus, the aggressive Kings Indian Attack can be a main weapon of yours. From my experience 1.e4 and 1.d4 are by far the most common, and the interesting 1.c4 (English opening) often transposes to a d4 opening. Of course, an aggressive alternative that I respect is this Reti idea that a repertoire can easily be built from. Although, I will caution against using a first move other than e4, d4, c4, or Nf3 because a solid repertoire is difficult to create for a weaker beginning move like say 1.h3. If a GM plays a move like 1.h3 (which has happened) it is for a surprise weapon and not usually a repertoire. 

For an aggressive player searching for an alteration in pace, I recommend the Reti opening (1.Nf3)

If your white maybe the kings gambit? 

If you want 1.d4 repetoire then there are several "main" opening possible options. The King's Gambit is an aggressive e4 - but the Queen's Gambit is a more positional d4 opening. Of course, being proficient in certain openings (either side) such as the Nimzo-Indian Defense are interesting, and by all means can lead to aggressive play. However, "aggressive play" is more dictated by the actual "play" and not purely an opening. Some openings can usually lead to a more X-type of game, but it is not a guarantee. Often even one well timed sacrifice, or creative idea, can turn the game into a sharp (perhaps aggressive) game.

If you want many openings of aggressive reputation, then 1.e4 or 1.Nf3 offer better possibilities than 1.d4; King's Gambit, Scotch Game, Ponzioni opening, (and Danish Gambit) are all 1.e4 openings I believe, and they all have a reputational flare for some aggressive lines. Find whatever works for you, as aggressive play is such (not only the opening chosen).

KeSetoKaiba wrote:

If you want 1.d4 repetoire then there are several "main" opening possible options. The King's Gambit is an aggressive e4 - but the Queen's Gambit is a more positional d4 opening. Of course, being proficient in certain openings (either side) such as the Nimzo-Indian Defense are interesting, and by all means can lead to aggressive play. However, "aggressive play" is more dictated by the actual "play" and not purely an opening. Some openings can usually lead to a more X-type of game, but it is not a guarantee. Often even one well timed sacrifice, or creative idea, can turn the game into a sharp (perhaps aggressive) game.

If you want many openings of aggressive reputation, then 1.e4 or 1.Nf3 offer better possibilities than 1.d4; King's Gambit, Scotch Game, Ponzioni opening, (and Danish Gambit) are all 1.e4 openings I believe, and they all have a reputational flare for some aggressive lines. Find whatever works for you, as aggressive play is such (not only the opening chosen).

Enjoyed reading this.... Especially the one well timed sacrifice can lead to a sharp game.  Very true

Forget all of this bologna if you don't play the garage at the Borg you'll never learn to attack and you'll stay at your Plateau forever you've got to give up material so you can get out of your own way one G4 and as black one G5 against anything including night at 3 when you're playing from behind you've got a play you've got no choice in the matter that's the recipe for Success so you've got to get rid of your cowardice and I don't mean you I mean one as a chess player

1. g4       Grob

...1. g5 reversed grob (ie Borg)

g4 Bg7 c4 cd Qb3 these are basically the first five moves and they work against mostly any black set up when you play it as black it's the same exact thing reversed you might think of it as a delayed Sicilian because most of the middle games that arise are from the Sicilian structures it's just a Gambit think of it like an olive on the martini and I am not kidding in the least

g5 Bg7 c5 cd Qb6

This is how I started playing the few years back simply memorizing least 5 Moves it will take awhile to get the general gist of it but what do you find the power of it you will play the most unbelievably tactical game. Even when you lose our masterpieces

1. g4 d5 (60% response) Bg2 Bxg4 (50% likely) 3. c4 c6 typically 4. cd cd usually 5. Qb3 e6?? And you have already won the hanging bishop with Qa4+  you will win 1 in 10 games with this one simple variation

1.e4 g5 d4 Bg7 Bxg5 c5 c3 cd cd Qb6 Nf3 Nc6 next move buy white is often a blunderfield error that loses the whole game

D4 D5 E4

Thats how my opponent won VS me

Online Now