Forums

How to make a real chess club succeed?

Sort:
LordStannis

I created a chess club nine months ago and I have succeeded in maintaining a average of around 7 players per meeting. I was just wondering how would I raise money for competition (Collage Club) without asking to much of my players, if possible.

LordStannis

How much do you charge? And how do I ask?

DeathScepter

First thing I would do is see what the players in the club want to do. If the competition is what the club is wanting, then they would probably be eager to come up with ideas as well as helping you raise funds.

LordStannis
DeathScepter wrote:

First thing I would do is see what the players in the club want to do. If the competition is what the club is wanting, then they would probably be eager to come up with ideas as well as helping you raise funds.

They don't know what to do and since I am the creator and president they look for me for guidance.

LordStannis
BorgQueen wrote:
HandBanana wrote:How much do you charge? And how do I ask?

Different countries and differences in regions for the value of money, so there is no point specifying the figure of how much we charge.  Basically we charge enough to afford the events the members what to participate in and enough to cover running expenses.  We basically try to maintain a balance of $1,000.    We try to start the year with $1,000 and finish the year with $1,000.

How do you ask?  Open and frank discussions about the club's goals.

How do you guys keep a count of your money? Should I open a bank account and put the money in there? Is there a system in how you spend your money? For example 33% on events 33% on saving 33% on fundraising?

rooperi

Well, 7 players aren't that many, you are going to struggle to raise a proper prize fund out of that.

Approach local businesses for sponsorship, If you have restaurant/pub/coffee shop where some of you regularly hang out, in my experience they would normally donate a few (insert local currency).

Is there a bookstore where your members buy chess books or equipment? Ask them too.

kco

Why not ask another club(s) (books,Bridge football or chess etc ) and see how they run it .

LordStannis
kco wrote:

Why not ask another club(s) (books,Bridge football or chess etc ) and see how they run it .

I run the only chess club! lol but I will try to arrange a meeting with another president tomorrow!

rooperi
HandBanana wrote:

How do you guys keep a count of your money? Should I open a bank account and put the money in there? Is there a system in how you spend your money? For example 33% on events 33% on saving 33% on fundraising?

Well, you have to set up a proper structure for your club, and elect a comittee of at least 3, including a treasurer. You must have a bank account for the club, and the treasure has to submit statements at least annually.

kco

HandBanana- "I run the only chess club! lol" ...  In Texas ?

TinLogician
HandBanana wrote:

I created a chess club nine months ago and I have succeeded in maintaining a average of around 7 players per meeting. I was just wondering how would I raise money for competition (Collage Club) without asking to much of my players, if possible.

If it's a college club, the college might provide funds to promote the club.  Many of them do.  As far as prize funds, that may be a different story.  You'll need to charge an entry fee for tournaments and use a percentage of that for prizes as a basic idea.  Beyond that would be to find a kind donor who would fund prizes.

LordStannis
rooperi wrote:

Well, 7 players aren't that many, you are going to struggle to raise a proper prize fund out of that.

Approach local businesses for sponsorship, If you have restaurant/pub/coffee shop where some of you regularly hang out, in my experience they would normally donate a few (insert local currency).

Is there a bookstore where your members buy chess books or equipment? Ask them too.

How would I ask? Do I make a letter to thank them for their donations? Currently I am the only one that buys books.

LordStannis
kco wrote:

HandBanana- "I run the only chess club! lol" ...  In Texas ?

In my school! I pretty sure theres more clubs around! :p

LordStannis
rooperi wrote:
HandBanana wrote:

Well, you have to set up a proper structure for your club, and elect a comittee of at least 3, including a treasurer. You must have a bank account for the club, and the treasure has to submit statements at least annually.

Would the committee be in charge of the expenses of the club?

LordStannis
Webhead wrote:

If it's a college club, the college might provide funds to promote the club.  Many of them do.  As far as prize funds, that may be a different story.  You'll need to charge an entry fee for tournaments and use a percentage of that for prizes as a basic idea.  Beyond that would be to find a kind donor who would fund prizes.

Maybe I will check the O.S.D tomorrow.

LordStannis

Bank account check!

I have a treasure, hes actually in this site! And so is my vice and secretary. But unfortionally they don't play here that often.

rooperi

Running a club is hard work :)

Teja

Solicit parents. They should be happy to support to ensure their kids don't otherwise engage in, well, unchess-like activities Smile.

LordStannis
BorgQueen wrote:

He's in this site, but does he attend the club?  You need to have meetings with members and all office title holders... AGMs.

I do every thursdays but all the time is spent on playing chess. We also dedicated an hour before the meeting for officer meetings but I am not that experienced so I don't really know how to get the ball rolling. Which I am pretty sure its the hardest part! Well I am hoping it is! Wink

LordStannis
Teja wrote:

Solicit parents. They should be happy to support to ensure their kids don't otherwise engage in, well, unchess-like activities .

Like a summer camp or something?