Forums

how do you achieve NM status

Sort:
Coach-Bill

USCF also has a Life Master title. There are two ways to get it. The old way is/was to have 300 games played where you started and completed a tournament at or above 2200. I was around 295 games completed when I stopped playing tournaments in 1996. Once a Life Master, your published rating will never go below 2200. Now, I notice I have the CM title because I did enough above 2000 to qualify for it. not quite certain what's needed for the new LM title, but I should at least be able to get the old LM title if I ever return to OTB play. Just need about 5 games and even if I drop the first try, I should be able to go back up sooner or later.

TonyH

its still 300 games aww-rats which is quite  an achievement. they had for a short time the Life master norm thing that was totally absurd. requiring 3 2200 performances in 5 round events. So some experts figured out they can create small hand picked events with 1900 ish players and gain their norms with a perfect score. It might be hard to do this in an open event but if you play the same people you can nail them down opening wise and create 5 or 6 events and bam theres your rating floor and NM title . you also didnt have to complete the event either just get the 2200 performance. 

I would hope you get your LM title I feel that 300 games at the 2200 level is a serious achievement.

TonyH

ya i just know some "masters" that make a living off telling everyone they are Masters that were infact perma-experts. I find the ethics a bit shady when the tournaments to achieve the norms were handpicked players and so obviously made for one purpose. Clever use of the rules but its easy to see why they discontinued it. 

As far as the paper goes its just like any paper or achievement even diplomas are just paper. 

saw you played a Young Shirazi in a rapid event,... ouch. that guy was amazing at fast time controls. Watched him and then FM Cy Lakdawala go at it in San diego in the late 80's brutal.

Coach-Bill
hushpuckena wrote:
aww-rats wrote:

USCF also has a Life Master title. There are two ways to get it.

The LM title and a dime won't even get you that phone call any more-when I got mine in 1986, USCF sent on a certificate. Yawn. Then it was on to the next game. Maybe one day I'll bother to send chess.com's admins my FIDE number so that I can get the coloured banner too, but I couldn't care less.

USCF discontinued that silly norm-based system long ago, so the only way home will be to play 300 games at master level.

Send it on to them. I got a complmentary Diamond when I sent proof and made a coaching page.

Ben_Dubuque

yeah if I ever get a title (GM is my goal even if I acheive it when I am 80, which would be cool[hopefuly not some honorary BS either, real deal or nothing]) the first thing I would do is send in my FIDE number and get the complimentary membership.

goldendog
hushpuckena wrote:

Tony,

That was a tough event-lost to two IMs (Rind was the other) and drew with Manik, after letting him out in a won ending. I figured Dzindzhi was odds-on to win that but he somehow lost to Manik. Dzin was a terror in quick play; I remember playing him at Harvard in the late 1980s and he'd lazily play his moves as though he had five hours instead of five minutes. With a little more drive, he had the knowledge and understanding to become a Candidate. His comprehension was frightening.

Lazy, distracted, etcetera.

He made the top 10 in the FIDE list. Pretty much a monster. That ain't hay.

TonyH

Agreed he is funny to watch in his videos and his approach is quite unique. I think sometimes he forgets that us normal players lack the technique and understanding to pull off some of his ideas though.

Chessbe17

Interesting to see what results come up for Google searched questions.