How does chess.com ratings compare with FIDE ratings?

  • #41

    All I am saying is this: cheating, opening books usage, playing much weaker opponents all the time and bullet games aside; you will not find a 1500+ player on chess.com who has a Fide rating of 1200. However you may well find many 1750 chess.com players who have Fide ratings in the 1900s. 

  • #42
    lefouissimo13 wrote:

    All I am saying is this: cheating, opening books usage, playing much weaker opponents all the time and bullet games aside; you will not find a 1500+ player on chess.com who has a Fide rating of 1200. However you may well find many 1750 chess.com players who have Fide ratings in the 1900s. 

    That view point does really encompass the truth.

  • #43

    FIDESmile RATINGS ARE ENTIRELY DIFFERENT=ON LINE RATINGS ARE LESS SUPERIOR= FIDE IS ACEPTRD WORLD WIDE

  • #44

    Well if it helps, my USCF Quick Chess Rating (5 minute) is 2226 yet my Chess.com 3 minute rating is only about 1750.  My ICC 3 minute rating is about 1850.  My USCF over the board rating for 40 moves in 2 hours is about 2100.  I know a guy who is about 2450 in USCF over the board, and in ICC he can only hold about 2250.

  • #45

    My estimation is:

    Chess.com rating - 400 = USCF rating

    Chess.com rating - 500 = FIDE rating 

  • #46

    spassky wrote:

    My estimation is:

    Chess.com rating - 400 = USCF rating

    Chess.com rating - 500 = FIDE rating 

    My estimation is that it depends on what you are comparing, whether it is live standard or correspondence...or even blitz here to fide....I am sure it varies....I saw one player here who's fide is 120 points lower and anothers who is about the same, but closer to 100 points different...

  • #47
    magfirefox wrote:

    Well if it helps, my USCF Quick Chess Rating (5 minute) is 2226 yet my Chess.com 3 minute rating is only about 1750.  My ICC 3 minute rating is about 1850.  My USCF over the board rating for 40 moves in 2 hours is about 2100.  I know a guy who is about 2450 in USCF over the board, and in ICC he can only hold about 2250.

    Is it annoying to be expert level and be stuck playing 1700s online?  I mean the openings and strategies (if they exist at all) aren't very good.  I guess you just play off beat stuff or wild attacks and it says interesting?  Otherwise I think it would tend to feel like "well they played crap but caught me in a tactic again so I lose"

    I'm in the opposite situation BTW, my blitz is higher than my OTB rating.

  • #48

    I have terrific fun playing online at most levels.  It seems that there is always something of interest.  Also, the 1700 level players that I play on Chess.com are every bit as tough as the 2000 rated players I play quick chess at "live" tournament sites in the USA.

  • #49
    spassky wrote:

    My estimation is:

    Chess.com rating - 400 = USCF rating

    Chess.com rating - 500 = FIDE rating 

     

    That is sooo wrong.  My 2100 USCF over the board rating, and my 2226 (5 minute) Quick Chess rating (USCF) translates to a 1750 rating on chess.com (3 minute).   So, you're saying that my 1750 chess.com rating would be 1350 USCF ... and you're wrong!  You're about 700 to 800 points off.

  • #50
    magfirefox wrote:

    I have terrific fun playing online at most levels.  It seems that there is always something of interest.  Also, the 1700 level players that I play on Chess.com are every bit as tough as the 2000 rated players I play quick chess at "live" tournament sites in the USA.

    Maybe I should visit a live tourney someday :p

  • #51
    magfirefox wrote:

    Well if it helps, my USCF Quick Chess Rating (5 minute) is 2226 yet my Chess.com 3 minute rating is only about 1750.  My ICC 3 minute rating is about 1850.  My USCF over the board rating for 40 moves in 2 hours is about 2100.  I know a guy who is about 2450 in USCF over the board, and in ICC he can only hold about 2250.

    strange results happen in some rating pools.  not uncommon for some high rated players to do poorly in bullet and vice versa.  i play a lot of promising juniors otb and i suspect their uscf ratings have not caught up to their chess.com ratings yet.  for some people time management is relevant to their results.   for others IDK.

  • #52
    waffllemaster wrote:

    It's more cut throat here?  Where we play free, anonymously, for no money, without giving up a weekend, and have aids like boards and databases, and knowing there may be differences in distraction or effort?  Where players with 3 days to move take 10 seconds?  I find that silly.  Tournament play is cut throat.  Online play is almost entirely casual.

     

    entirely true. my chess.com rating is 1600 and Fide rating is 1350 ( I am underrated though )

  • #53

    Don't play much on chess.com , but my Chesscube rating is between 600 and 700 points higher than my fide rating (I haven't played otb in a while)

  • #54

    so far it looks like

    chess.com rating plus/minus 500 = fide

    not very conclusive...

  • #55

    how to get a fide rating 

  • #56

    lefouissimo13 blocked me for what!

    I can see that lefouissimo13 has been writing in this thread... so that is the reason I am commenting it.

    I sure know this thread is about a totally different subject, but I seriously cannot take a player serious when he blocks chessplayers without a good reason. Loosing is not a good reason! But obviously lefouissimo13 thought loosing is a fair reason to block me. I never wrote a single word or letter to him, but after he lost against me, then you just blocked me! I suppose he could not stand a beating and blocks chessplayers that can hurt his moderate low rating (and so is my rating too). Seriously! 

  • #57
    [COMMENT DELETED]
or Join

Online Now