Forums

How many full length half hour chess.com videos can I watch with 2 gb Broadband?

Sort:
willilo

Hi everyone,

Do you know how many full length around half hour chess.com videos I can watch and how many games in game explorer I can view with 2 gb broadband?

willilo

Please help!

willilo

Please help!

10MESSI

hey willis u should be able to watch at least 4 videos

kenneth67

Not sure, but if you right click the little LAN connection icon (bottom tray in Win XP - it looks like two little monitors together) and then click "status", a window will appear which shows how much info is being downloaded (sent/received). With the video playing, just time it and it should give you an idea of broadband usage. 

willilo

So can I only watch around 4 videos with 2gb? I thought it would be way more than that!

kenneth67

I just did a quick timing exercise. 1 minute of video takes 2.5mb, therefore 1024/2.5 = 409.60 min per Gb = 6.82hr per Gb. Don't know how long the videos are though, and I am on a basic 384kbps line.

kenneth67

downloading is much 'cheaper' then. I haven't watched/downloaded any, just did the test.

EDIT: 6Jne - info downloaded is the same, therefore my 'cheaper' comment is irrelevant.

willilo

So I can watch for more than 13 hours with 2gb?

kenneth67

I would say so. BorgQueen - how do you download, as opposed to watching the video?

kenneth67

You must have a much faster line than me then. My viewing bar continually catches up with the download bar, and it buffers, making the picture freeze until it downloads more. As I said, mine is the basic 384kbps download speed, which struggles with video.  

kenneth67

Yes, but even though your download speed is quicker, it doesn't change how much info is being downloaded. So 2Gb memory still gives 6.82 hrs of video - or am I missing something? 

erik

i "think" each full video is around 50-80 MB, but not sure. dpruess would know. 

kenneth67
erik wrote:

That sounds about right for a short video. 

Loomis
erik wrote:

I'm not sure how ISPs count the total amount of data tranferred. Not every byte of every packet transferred is going to be video data. Anyone know how much the IP protocol bloats the amount of data transferred?

jayde
willilo wrote:

Please help!

Hey guys I'm a new member  and I have a questions that may be a little off subject but here goes can two downloaded movies eat up 10gb ?

kenneth67

10gb is pretty big, but yes i'm sure it's possible. Sometimes you can get them in lower resolution, taking up less data.

10MESSI

hey willis it depends how many mb each video is! if they are big problems with picture and everything and not just speech this will increase mb. sorry for the late reply

10messi

Cheesy-FishBubble

You can GIF the thingoLaughing