Forums

HOW TO IMPROVE FROM 1900 - 2200 IN LESS THAN A YEAR

Sort:
FutureWCChampion9000
crtexxx wrote:
FutureWCChampion9000 wrote:

do these videos guarantee MASTERSHIP ?

The only thing that guarantees mastership is you.

hehehehe....

Spinaltap

I'd find a different book for now than Dvoretsky. It's too advanced, might just confuse you. I'm 2500 and Dorvetsky is a lot to take in even for me Laughing

heine-borel
crtexxx wrote:

hehehehe....

Well, it's totally true. Even with the best teachers and resources, hard work is required for something complex like chess. And definitely not Dvoretsky. Even Silman's Reassess your chess is difficult for me, and my rating otb>yours.

FutureWCChampion9000
crtexxx wrote:
crtexxx wrote:

hehehehe....

Well, it's totally true. Even with the best teachers and resources, hard work is required for something complex like chess. And definitely not Dvoretsky. Even Silman's Reassess your chess is difficult for me, and my rating otb>yours.

What is your OTB?

FutureWCChampion9000
Spinaltap wrote:

I'd find a different book for now than Dvoretsky. It's too advanced, might just confuse you. I'm 2500 and Dorvetsky is a lot to take in even for me

What can recommend instead thenSmile?

Coach-Bill

THANK YOU very, very much NM AWW-RATS.

i would try your suggested videos as soon as i can and report to you my progress.

bet i have few QUESTIONS for you:

are these all the things i need to achieve 2200 and possibly NATIONAL MASTER TITLE ?

are there anything else that you recommend to me ?

any specific books that you could recommend for me to study and understand in depth ?

please answer my questions comprehensively. THANK YOU VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE !

My program shows how I did it. Nothing is guaranteed, you have to do the work, but my methods are simple and easy to follow. 

heine-borel
crtexxx wrote:
crtexxx wrote:

hehehehe....

What is your OTB?

I will send you some links to it... to prove it ;)

madhacker
Spinaltap wrote:

I'd find a different book for now than Dvoretsky. It's too advanced, might just confuse you. I'm 2500 and Dorvetsky is a lot to take in even for me

That's interesting because I loved the Dvoretsky endgame book, and I'm a 2000ish patzer. Could that perhaps be because you tried to understand everything in it? I sort of ran with it, accepting that some of it was very difficult, but trying to understand as much as I could. And I think it did help my endgames.

Peter_Oomen

Learning 12 hours a day wont help you very much. I'm studying my whole life now, just about to complete my international en european tax law master, but just started studying chess. What it is with study, that stuyding too long on the same thing wont give the best results. I believe that there is even a study about this case: 'two girls had to study the piano, one was given a piano, one wasnt given one. The girl which didn't got a piano could only study it by thinking about how to improve, while the other one was training her fingers off on the real thing to improve. After a while both their improvement was getting tested. It appeared that the woman who could only think about how to improve, improved more in the same time than the person who could practice all the time. offcourse there are factors that are person-bounded, but i believe these girls where also twins.' As im not a psychologist, and cant give you everything that test showed, I can say that it showed, by analogy to chess, sometimes you dont have to play, read books, trying to solve puzzles etc, but just use your head and overthink what you have done, try to dont play chess for 2 weeks once in a while. Improvement does not only come from die hard study 12 hours a day. Another thing is that it will just take some time before new knowledge to land in you head, your head need also rest for that. I suggest to read books about 'how to study most effectivly' first before dedicating a year on chess without having a good idea if your method will grant you the results you prefered. Study is a study itself.

BTW, for a example, during my study i was always looking for the most effective way to study which resulted in the end in a good 120 EC (European Credits) in a year (7.5 average), with next to that working 3-4 days a week, and drinking beer on friday and saturday evenings, combined with having a girlfriend who doesnt wanted to join those evenings so had to give her attention on other days, by following only 2 hours of college a week. I dont say this is unique, but without having studied how to study best, i could never have done that.

Spinaltap
madhacker wrote:
Spinaltap wrote:

That's interesting because I loved the Dvoretsky endgame book, and I'm a 2000ish patzer. Could that perhaps be because you tried to understand everything in it? I sort of ran with it, accepting that some of it was very difficult, but trying to understand as much as I could. And I think it did help my endgames.

The endgame book is fine, was referring more to the chess excellence series.

Spinaltap
Spinaltap wrote:

What can recommend instead then?

Silman is a good place to start. How to reassess your chess, Amateurs mind etc..

heine-borel
Spinaltap wrote:
Spinaltap wrote:

What can recommend instead then?

Silman is a good place to start. How to reassess your chess, Amateurs mind etc..

I'd try amateurs mind. I've bought reassess your chess, but it too difficult for me... That is, if you try to deeply understand all the material.