x
Chess - Play & Learn

Chess.com

FREE - In Google Play

FREE - in Win Phone Store

VIEW

How to reach 1700 rating on chess.com

I have increased my rating from 1400 to 1700 with aggresive play but suddenly it when down to 1600 and I am facing difficulties to increase it to 1700 even though I have defeated 1700+ players. I please suggest any tips?

Take lessons. Do tactics but it sounds like something else. If you drink caffeine it restricts bloodflow to you brain. Drink a lot of Water while playing and make sure to sleep 8-9 hours a day. I recently had both a blitz and a rapid of around 800 I started drinking a lot of water and sleeping and today I broke 1100 in rapid. I plan on going much higher.

Find openings you like and study them. Review your games frequently, or after every match if you can to find improvements. And find a mentor... like John Bartholemeu.

Play alot of chess. You probably don't play nearly enough as you should and its something many players are guilty of. Every time i had some jump in rating it was due to me playing much more than i usually did for a prolonged period, and its probably not much different for the majority of players.

EDIT: after looking at your profile it looks like you actually play quite a bit, with that being the case you just need to be patient. Improvement is not going to happen quickly even for the most rapidly improving players.

Maybe you are playing to many games.

Study most used mainline opening and it defenses for the first 5 or 6 moves. To strengthen you middlegame and endgame I prefer playing roughly 4 correspondence games with 3 day delay so you can study certain moves better(positional thinking).  Follow with up 25 puzzles a day to make the transition to over-the-board scenarios(tactical thinking).  Lastly I review at least 2 finished matches(1-lose & 1-win). Pick what you are battling on Opening/Middlegame/Endgame at the moment for your selection and see what happened to help you get insight.  

Online Now