Forums

How to Think in an OTB tournament game

Sort:
Lucidish_Lux

You train mental endurance the same way you train physical endurance. Get in shape, work out, run, etc. Your brain uses energy and needs blood flow like any muscle does, so get your cardiovascular system in good shape, and that'll help.

Get up from time to time, at least once an hour, to keep your blood flowing and stretch your legs. 

To help with your time situation, whenever it becomes a factor, I've heard to calculate variations on your time, and look at your overall strategy and positional factors on your opponent's time. This way you aren't wasting time calculating candidate moves that can't happen because your opponent played a different move, but you are still using his time to your advantage.

CapAnson

I calculate constantly until I find (what I think) is the best move.  Once I do, I stop thinking until my opponent responds. The reason is I don't want to waste time thinking about variations he isn't going to play anyway.  Maybe this isn't the most efficient way.. but I usually stay out of time trouble.

UIUCBoss

my record was 4 wins, 2 draws

UIUCBoss
Lucidish_Lux wrote:

You train mental endurance the same way you train physical endurance. Get in shape, work out, run, etc. Your brain uses energy and needs blood flow like any muscle does, so get your cardiovascular system in good shape, and that'll help.

Get up from time to time, at least once an hour, to keep your blood flowing and stretch your legs. 

To help with your time situation, whenever it becomes a factor, I've heard to calculate variations on your time, and look at your overall strategy and positional factors on your opponent's time. This way you aren't wasting time calculating candidate moves that can't happen because your opponent played a different move, but you are still using his time to your advantage.

I think this was great advice. I do calculate variations on my opponents time and I think this contributed to the fatigue. I will keep that in mind the next tournament. I'm skipping out on US open because I want to keep my master title before the next supplement lol

Lucidish_Lux

Also, congratulations on your master title! Be sure to submit it to chess.com for (I think) free membership, not to mention that sexy red "NM" next to your name.

UIUCBoss

Thanks lucidish lux. I have to wait until the next supplement for uscf to recognize the 2200 rating. Then I'll get that awesome NM haha

Thunder_Penguin

Maybe you should eat/drink something during your games to keep your energy up.

Thunder_Penguin

Also, I just sit at the board for the whole like; 5 hours.

UIUCBoss

my record this summer is still unbeaten. 39 games. 34 wins, 5 draws.

UIUCBoss

and thunder penguin, how'd you do at Indy Open