Forums

How would you tell your parents you want to make a living at chess?

Sort:
Knightly_News

If you were a young, 1350 ELO player, who decided you were going to launch your career as a chess superstar and start studying really hard right now, what would you say to your parents and what would they probably think about it?

AndyClifton

Once upon a time, I did.  It wasn't pretty.

Knightly_News
AndyClifton wrote:

It's OK.  I wasn't pretty either, but they still love me.

shoop2

Have you considered just telling them that you want to get good at chess, then working to get good enough so that it's obvious that you can make a living from it?

AndyClifton
reflectivist wrote:
I wasn't pretty either, but they still love me.

bladezii

How would you tell yourself?  How would you be convinced?  Only the top 3% in the world can make a living from just "playing" chess and only "playing" chess.

Less rated GMs do something else than just playing chess in order to make a living.

Consider this : a tournament with only players above 2600 FIDE rating has a winning prize of $18,000 if you are lucky to win one of those in one year.  $18,000 to live on in one year is NOTHING.  You will starve or live miserable with that.  Oh, and you will have no woman, no kids, nothing.

Unless you are a prodigy at chess, you better find a good way to earn some money and just play chess on the side.  Remember chess is not life, just a part of it and only to some people.

Doggy_Style
AndyClifton wrote:

My mother said "When you can afford to keep yourself, you can do what you want. It's college for you, My Laddo". It was never discussed again.

Knightly_News
AndyClifton wrote:  

reflectivist wrote:
I wasn't pretty either, but they still love me.

I got a million of 'em, dude.  I just flew in from Miami, and boy, are my arms tired!

kikvors
reflectivist schreef:

If you were a young, 1350 ELO player, who decided you were going to launch your career as a chess superstar and start studying really hard right now, what would you say to your parents and what would they probably think about it?

Mind you, at 1350 you are worse than the average club player, and the average club players is really bad at chess.

So I think you're aiming too low. You should tell them you're going to be the next Messi.

Edit: Anyway, first just try to get better. If you're an 18 year old GM and the top rated American under 20, that sort of thing, then you can decide whether you really want to do it for a living. Many in that situation still decide that it isn't worth it.

alec85
reflectivist wrote:

That's career suicide there's no money in chess never has been stay in school become a doctor,lawyer,accountant or a chef at a 5 star hotel  pick anything that pays the bills and has a bright future in it for you.

pdve

i too had the same dilemma. now i have decided that i probably will give another shot at university. if that goes well then i will continue otherwise i always have the option of returning to chess.

mdennehy

How about "Mom, Dad, I want to be unemployed and live off your earnings for at least the next decade!" :D 

TheGrobe

I'd probably lead in by asking them how they feel about your permanently living in their basement.

Natalia_Pogonina

Not sure if serious. I never even considered going pro before I won my first Russian junior Championship. Usually there is no need to tell. Once you are able to make a decent living off your chess earnings, the "confession" comes naturally.

TheBigDecline

My mother would just weep out of all the disappointment, my dad would look me sternly into the eyes and probably say something along the lines of: "I had a son. Had."

TheBigDecline

We're a checkers family.

smiles516

As a mom of two myself, I can tell you I'd be more than a little skeptical.  Making a living via chess is SUCH a rarity.  I would worry that by setting such a narrow goal so early in life, you'd be cheating yourself out of a lot of opportunities--  the opportunity to earn a far more comfortable living doing something else, even the opportunity to get married, buy a house, have children. 

I would strongly, strongly encourage my own son (who is crazy about chess) to go to college, choose a major that leads to job opportunities, and keep chess in his life as a recreational pursuit.  You could always supplement your income teaching chess, or win some extra money in tournaments.

Best of luck to you!

Shivsky

PLAVIN81

They would not permet it=unless I had a contract for lots of moneySmile

bladezii

@ Shivsky  ----  I ROFL .... my stomach hurts.