Forums

How would you tell your parents you want to make a living at chess?

Sort:
Shivsky

Yes, the eternal battle between the factions of Tough Love and Child Protective Services rages on.

bigpoison

I'd have said, "Mom, dad, I want to make a living playing chess."

Mom would have replied, "Good for you."

Dad would have said, "People in hell want ice water."

bladezii

.......AND make sure you talk about the loaner which you will repay as soon as you win some big money in tournaments, so you can pay for the child delivery, etc.  

landwehr
reflectivist wrote:

If you were a young, 1350 ELO player, who decided you were going to launch your career as a chess superstar and start studying really hard right now, what would you say to your parents and what would they probably think about it?

'chess superstar' sounds like the enthousiasm of youth! Being young you have studies, career, girlfriends, mates etc to interrupt your dream to be a chess superstar. As yet you don't have a chess career. First get a good day job then a family then  become a chess superstar. It is okay for chess prodigies but are you really in that class?

landwehr

what I have said maybe what your parents will say when you break the news to them...think about it!

NimzoRoy

How would you tell your parents you want to make a living at chess?

With the assistance of a medium and a OUIJA Board 

landwehr
NimzoRoy wrote:  I cannot decipher your comment!

Liar! I did not write that!  NimzoRoy

atarw

you dont

winerkleiner

I would say, "Mom, Dad, all my decisions were bad in the past, but this time I know I can make a living of becoming a top notch chess player, I bought this giant chess set to pratice.  So lets sell the house to fund my dream.  My Dad would then say, 'I'll keep the box in case we need a home". 

gaereagdag

Start by saying that you are going to join a hippie commune, give away all of your money, and move to Northern California.

Then tell your folks that you will be making a living as a professional chess player and that each win will earn you more leaves in your peace pipe.

That way, with a graduated build up that involves alternative lifestyle, your folks will be shocked to the least possible degree. A back up supply of sedatives for them is still highly recommended. It's better to err on the side of safety.

NimzoRoy
linuxblue1 wrote:

Start by saying that you are going to join a hippie commune, give away all of your money, and move to Northern California.

Hey! That sounds like the story of my life - except I didn't intentionally give away all my money, nor did I ever get good enuff to become a professional chess player...oh well never mind...

TheBlueKnight9

I told them that I wanted to be a chess player and get a grandmaster title. Dad said it would just be a hobby! I'm going to go against that!

varelse1

First you break the really bad news to them. Then let them think it over about 3,4 minutes. Then you say "Just kidding! I'm not actually gay. I'm just a professional chess player!"

bladezii
varelse1 wrote:

First you break the really bad news to them. Then let them think it over about 3,4 minutes. Then you say "Just kidding! I'm not actually gay. I'm just a professional chess player!"

"And the part about mating with other guys' Kings is just a game, Dad; we get paid if we win."

LudRa95

Orally.

royalbishop

How would you tell your parents

you want to make a living at chess?

:

First you better start whippin every chess player within a 50 mile radius that is not a titled player. Get a job.... enough to pay for your books and etc, be independent. Come up with a back up plan, not saying you may fail but it may take longer than expected to reach this goal. Also you might find that may not like being that as much as you thought after your at that point.

That is when your parents will take you serious. When it is not costing them any money or your taking as much as possible on your shoulders and no matter you still will have a future.

StrategicPlay

Don't think of it, it's a long way to go even if you study hard. And by the time you reach the GM level (if you ever do, no offence) you have to afford the consequences of your decision. 

And many of the titled players seem to be like 24-hours devoted to chess, but they do have a profession besides chess. And I agree with bladezii, it's only about the lucky few whose names we have heard on the top boards. 

royalbishop

lucky?  Never saw that in my chess book.

Man hate to play a lucky player that would really stink. I think i will ask my next couple opponents are they lucky which can save me a lot of time and i resign move 1. ....... I just been looking for that in the index of my books to find out how to get become lucky or beat a luck player. Any books on that?

StrategicPlay
royalbishop wrote:

lucky?  Never saw that in my chess book.

Man hate to play a lucky player that would really stink. I think i will ask my next couple opponents are they lucky which can save me a lot of time and i resign move 1. ....... I just been looking for that in the index of my books to find out how to get become lucky or beat a luck player. Any books on that?

You should have got the point, man. 

royalbishop

Hey LuckyPlay .... i mean StrategicPlay!

Get the point now. I doubt luck is part of your strategy or maybe he/she can start using you as practice till they get to the GM level. Does dice come in play with that luck. Did Carlsen borrow his neighbor magic 8-ball to make his next move. Or to predict what his opponent is thinking.

Your saying he might get lucky to reach the top. How would you know he/she might be the next future champion.

Hmmm Rabbit's foot have to purchase 2, a white one when i play with white pieces and black one when i play with black pieces and become the luckiest player ever. Apple Jacks and Fruit Loops instead of the Box of Wheates (The breakfast of champions). I think his parents will laugh you out of here. After reading your statement they will ask if the other players are like you? In which they will be all in for him to take easy money!!!