Forums

Humans v Houdini chess engine (Elo 3300)

Sort:
Yereslov

The rating is theoretically 3300 ELO. 

The rating largerly depends on the software and the amount of time the software takes to process.

Yereslov
pfren wrote:

Yes, it does change his mind "later", but this is of no use- damage already done. Going 40-ply from the diagram position is obviously going to take a couple of weeks, even in fairly modern hardware- so impractical, even for correspondence chess.

The above position happened when I, as Black, opened the h-file prematurely (Black had a pawn on h5 and white on h2, plus one more rook each), where Black should eventually come out with a winning plan. But I also committed the very same error: I trusted the engine evaluations, without realizing the fortress plan. It was only when the 5-6 "best" lines all came to the very same evaluation (very favorable to Black) when I realized that there was something wrong, white could set up an inpenetrable position, and Houdini/Critter/pfren had in reality blundered half a point...

Which position? I must have missed it.

Yereslov
pfren wrote:
CharlieFreak wrote:

It's weird the way they always win though . . .

When? To my poor knowledge, the last time a strong corr. player met a computer, the human won 2-0, but this is some five years ago.

The reasons that such matches are not held is rather simple: The programmers are well aware of the limitations of their engines, and won't put up such a challenge before improving  on them.

ELO points mean nothing for that matter- their statistical model was tuned for different sorts of events. On ICCF championships, the highest ELO currently is 2729, which is way below your 3300 dream. But this is the highest a super modern engine under skillfull human aid has achieved.

How well Kramnik, or any other strong GM can play without computer aid at long time controls? Logic says more than that, factly they would beat the machine without too much effort. Chess is not a bunch of zeroes and ones which should be counted as fast as possible, this is the truth- whether you like it, or not.

But of course, the first thing the silicon lovers will think when the GM beats their beloved Dumbini is that the GM had computer aid...

That match was played seven years ago.

Technology has improved by a longshot since then. 

Bronstein also beat a computer in the sixties. 

Yereslov
pfren wrote:
Yereslov wrote:

Which position? I must have missed it.

Hardly surprising.

Why is that?

Yereslov
Firepower8 wrote:

pfren can you post the entire game please btw, computers are notoriously terrible in my experience dealing with closed positions, nice job kicking some cp but.

You must have terrible software.

Even in a tight position Rybka and Fritz see the perfect move.

Yereslov
Firepower8 wrote:

i have houdini which kicks rybkas ane frtitzs ass

Houdini is actually pretty terrible.

finalunpurez

I think houdini is better than rybka. Personal opinion. 

ChimpCircus

You're not going to see Rybka hang a lot of bishops, I'll say that for it.

himath2009

Remember when...

We used to wait all afternoon by the kiosk for the IHT to arrive, so we could see the latest game in the Fisher vs. Spassky WC ordeal... It was back in the middle ages, as the Monty Pythons would have it, we were toddlers in life and in chess.

We would set up the board, play the game out trying to figure out by ourselves what whas going on - no engine there to spoil it...

Pardon the nostalgia, gentlemen, but I miss those days. We could discover every move, every line, again and again. And it was pure magic...

Elubas

I don't get it though... even if you don't always trust the engines, wouldn't you at least check with one? Obviously the computer wouldn't recommend Bd3 (computers were allowed, right?).

Yereslov
Firepower8 wrote:

and if need to check the rating list, houdini crushes all

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_engine

Did you check the source of the material?

I remember seeing a site with all the engine evaluations. Rybka was far ahead.
Elubas
pfren wrote:

Bah, you didn't get it.

Of course I check, and in that particular position there was no need to check at all- everything is in the book.

14.Nxg6 hg6 15.Bd3 and white normally goes on gaining space on the kingside by h4, g4 etc (the other option of playing e3-e4 allows Black more counterplay after an eventual ...c5).

I just forgot to take on g6, simple as that... 

It IS silly, but can happen to anyone.

But this is why you check!

Yereslov
Elubas wrote:
pfren wrote:

Bah, you didn't get it.

Of course I check, and in that particular position there was no need to check at all- everything is in the book.

14.Nxg6 hg6 15.Bd3 and white normally goes on gaining space on the kingside by h4, g4 etc (the other option of playing e3-e4 allows Black more counterplay after an eventual ...c5).

I just forgot to take on g6, simple as that... 

It IS silly, but can happen to anyone.

But this is why you check!

Even grandmasters make obvious mistakes:

Yereslov
Firepower8 wrote:
Yereslov wrote:
Firepower8 wrote:

and if need to check the rating list, houdini crushes all

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_engine

Did you check the source of the material?

It needs additional citations for verification. Tagged since January 2009. Its use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. Tagged since October 2011. It may contain original research. Tagged since October 2011.
I remember seeing a site with all the engine evaluations. Rybka was far ahead.

http://www.computerchess.org.uk/ccrl/4040/   

houdini is wayyyy above rybka, you claim i dont have updated software?? LOL

I'm not buying it. Another site had the same rating system and Houdini was  in third place.

Yereslov
Firepower8 wrote:

Oh did i mention, houdini1.5 is for free? but houdini 2 isnt

It's the same with Rybka. 

You can get the older version easily online.

mrguy888
Firepower8 wrote:

i think houdini 1.5 is still better than the updated rybka, correct me if im wrong mr.yereslov

Of course you have to keep in mind that he would correct you if you were right as well.

finalunpurez
mrguy888 wrote:
Firepower8 wrote:

i think houdini 1.5 is still better than the updated rybka, correct me if im wrong mr.yereslov

Of course you have to keep in mind that he would correct you if you were right as well.

Well-said! 

Yereslov
Firepower8 wrote:

I don't know. I never tried Houdini 1.5.

Yereslov
finalunpurez wrote:
mrguy888 wrote:
Firepower8 wrote:

Well-said! 

No, that would be called "trolling."

I do that mostly with Pfren.

Yereslov

If someone can have Houdini play ten games against Rybka, that would be great.